When cymbal sampling...?

ArroldW

Sound Engineer/Producer
Dec 22, 2010
San Diego
www.myspace.com
[So this goes to ANYONE sampling the drummer's kit that goes into their studio]

Okay, so I've had some pretty sick drum sets come through here and it wasn't until recently that I decided to sample every drummers kit. As far as sampling the actual hits go [Hard, medium, soft, xsoft, ect.] do you guys have the drummer do the hits or do you guys put head phones on, press record and do it yourselves?

I'm just curios because having to explain to a drummer "hit it hard' is one thing, but once it goes into hitting it softer the drummer looks at me like I am trolling with him or something.. :bah:

Any info would help out. Thanks

1). If you are making samples for that particular record- let the drummer play.
2). If you are making smaples just in general for future reference- then play them yourself.

The philosophy behind number 1 is so that you get the drummer's feel and dynamics consistent throughout the record (unless you are just going to be 100% replacing everything). You would be surprised how much of a difference two separate players sound even when just making samples (i.e. go over to the Sneap forum and read Glenn Fricker's post in the thread "things that amateur bands do...")

The philosophy behind number 1 is so that you get the drummer's feel and dynamics consistent throughout the record (unless you are just going to be 100% replacing everything). You would be surprised how much of a difference two separate players sound even when just making samples (i.e. go over to the Sneap forum and read Glenn Fricker's post in the thread "things that amateur bands do...")

+1 Smart. Thank you so much.

Thats why you have them start off soft and build your way up.

When you start them with hard hits and go down, they tend to hit harder because they are used to hitting from the previous set.