Cymbal upgrade? Attention drummers

scorpio01169

Aug 6, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
I've had cheap zildjian cymbals for my studio kit for years and it's time for me to upgrade. For the drummers or engineer that have a favorite cymbal to record, if you go into a studio what brand of cymbal do you get excited to record? I'm at a crossroads between Zildjian or Sabian. I have heard great things about Mienl, and absolute horror stories about Paiste. Your thoughts?

To record?
LOVE k's.

Smooth, Dark, Big, Don't bleed all over fucking everything else horrendously

Check out the cymbals in this photo album: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.933580710040082.1073741826.123065227758305&type=3

Best I ever recorded. Picked from over 40 different contenders in the premier studio here in Melbourne. I can't remember the names of any of them other than the 2 14" HHX Groove Hats, and the unlathed power bell ride (it may be the lathed one in the pic, but we switched it out later). The chinas especially were godlike.

Can't go wrong with Zildjian A Custom or K's, Sabian's AAX/HHX are also great.
As far as Meinl goes the Soundcaster Custom and Byzance series are definitely worth it.

A more unknown brand I have been using lately is Amedia, which are still being handmade in Turkey so they definitely sound as good as Zildjian if not better.
Not sure about their availability in the US, but could be worth checking out