When is it ok to use your pinky while playing bass?

VEHEMENCE

Helping The World To See
Jan 3, 2002
Phoenix, Arizona U.S.A.
www.myspace.con
I always see a selected few bass players using their pinky while playing pass, is that nessesary, is it a bad technique or is it ment to be used? Reminds me of one someone uses their thumb to press on the fret.. curious..

It´s a lot easier to play if you can use your pinky. You don´t need to keep "walking" through the neck to play, just stand still in one position and play. Actually, if you know the neck good enough, and depending on what you are playing, you just need to move your hand 1 or 2 frets back/foward to play.

This helps you a lot when you need to play and sing at the same time.

I always thought it's normal to use the pinky. I mean otherwise you would only use 3 out of 4 fingers of your fretting hand...

it's ten million times easier playing scales with your pinky than without. I don't see why you wouldn't use it, it's strong enough usually to fret. Unless you're talking about your plucking hand, in which case, I have only seen Les Claypool use all his four fingers. That seems hard, since the notes played with your pinky finger might sound less evident

Yeah I meant the playing hand not the fretting hand, i thought that was a logical question, that i didnt have to explain that. But yeah I have seen Les Claypool, Alex Webster, use pinkys.. I would like to see if anyone can name somemore.

VEHEMENCE said:
Yeah I meant the playing hand not the fretting hand, i thought that was a logical question, that i didnt have to explain that. But yeah I have seen Les Claypool, Alex Webster, use pinkys.. I would like to see if anyone can name somemore.

Alex Webster doesn't use pinky...

John entwistle uses pinky (I know he is dead, but I don't know the past of use :p)

Alex Webster doesn't use pinky...
Hmmmmm... I´m almost sure he uses. At least when he is playing he moves his pinky in a way that seems he is using it. Well, Hippie knows him. Does he uses the pinky Hippie?

Seems like Roger Paterson used to play with 4 fingers, but I´m not sure too.

Higon said:
Hmmmmm... I´m almost sure he uses. At least when he is playing he moves his pinky in a way that seems he is using it.
I think it always looks like the pinky is part of the action even if the player only uses three fingers. It just kinda goes with the flow of the other fingers.

I think it always looks like the pinky is part of the action even if the player only uses three fingers. It just kinda goes with the flow of the other fingers.
Nah. I play using 3 fingers and my pinky stays "static" (some movement, but not that much). Some friends say it's the "British Drinking Tea" style.

Higon said:
Nah. I play using 3 fingers and my pinky stays "static" (some movement, but not that much). Some friends say it's the "British Drinking Tea" style.
Hey, bassist who play that "British Drinkin' Tea" style are really really poor!!

Look at me:
DSC00016.jpg

You are frikkin´ nuts on the stage. :eek:

Maybe It´s related with the brazilian sun working against the calcification of the pinky, or some genetic anomaly derived from prolonged exposition to "samba" or "pagode" or even "Xuxa".

From the CC forum:

I've actually never used four finger plucking techniques, ever. My pinky has never been as long or as strong as my other fingers. All the fast parts I play are done with three fingers. Many people mistakenly believe that I play with four fingers because they see my pinky moving while I'm doing the three finger technique. It's very difficult to move the other three fingers without also moving your pinky. Human fingers tend to work together like this, like when you throw a football or baseball, for example. Anyway, my pinky moves, but never touches the strings, only the first three fingers do. As for the slower sections, using two fingers generally works better, it seems stronger and more consistent that way. I hope this info helps! Thanks,
Alex