need right hand muting help for classical/fingerstyle

fat bastard

Nov 19, 2004
someone please tell me if i have the right idea here if you can. i ve been moving away from using a pick so i can use more of the advantages that an all fingers approach can provide but i've found difficulty in keeping strings quiet while playing ascending scalar passages with an alternating finger technique. descending is no problem because left hand muting is easy. i was almost ready to go back to the pick but then i was reading this morning about using the "rest stroke" that classical and bass players use and found it helped. is this the key to my problem or will this affect speed?

I'm not exactly sure what the answer to your muting problem would be... but if you want to play rest stroke and still play fast, try a lighter rest stroke. Still you should also be able to play free stroke without having all that extra string noise...

I'm not exactly sure what the answer to your muting problem would be... but if you want to play rest stroke and still play fast, try a lighter rest stroke. Still you should also be able to play free stroke without having all that extra string noise...[/QUOTE/]

thanx for a response. the noise itself is coming from the open strings as my left hand finger comes off the fret just before moving to a note on a different string. i find it difficult to hide. its not super noisy but noticable enough to hear the flaw. right hand muting with a pick made it unnoticable but fingerstyle makes things tougher.