When should someone move out of their parents' house?

When should you move out?

• When you're 18

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • When you are finished with school and get a job

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • When you are emotionally, psychologically and financially ready

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Mooch as long as you can!

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Ozzman

Melted by feels
Sep 17, 2006
In My Kingdom Cold
I recently graduated college and have started searching for apartments. I lived with my folks from when I was born up until freshman year of college (obvious) and only lived in the dorms for two years before transferring back home and commuting to school from home.

Now, some people say that it is psychologically and emotionally bad to live with your parents past a certain age. However, some people develop the maturity later in life, so I don't see this as feasible in some cases.

Anyway, what do you all think?

Good question for a good thread tbh!

Personally, I think you should move out once you start studying or once you get a job. For an apprenticeship I guess it depends, but since you are already paid, it sure is an option.

I moved out when I started studying, which I felt were two steps that needed to be taken together. Studying in my hometown was never an option for me. I love my family and even though I was kinda nervous to begin living on my own, at the same time I felt it was a step I needed to take.
If you stay too long I think you get too comfy, besides you really need an opportunity, a real reason. Once you get a job and still live with your parents, you're not going to get up one morning and think "Ok, next week I'll move out of here!" and it just gets sad.
It's depressing to move out and think "I probably spent 90% of the time I'll ever spend with my family already.." but you'll get over it ;)

Its different from someone to another, like you said. Its up to how you feel about it.
But f you start working and has the money to pay for an appartment and food, it think it is better to live by yourself. Of course, if your parents dont live in the mittle of nowhere, you can still live in the same city as they do, or somewhere close, so you can still see them often.

Personally, i will trun 21 this fall, and i live with my bf. When i was 17, i did an exchange year in the USA, then when i came back home, i went to college and as it was a bit more than 100 km away from my house, i rented a small room there. But i hated it as i was alone and all my friends were studying something else or somewhere else and werent in the same class as i was... i was with people 1 year younger than me, and i felt like they were somehow still very childish (yeah Taliesin, i know it sounds weird coming from me, so they had to be awful..). I
Then i met my bf and later i decided to move to Germany to live with him. It was probabily the best choice i ever did in my life...

In Belgium there are lots of peple who transforms old appartments into rooms for students, or universitiesthemselves have some buildings with rooms for students. So the students live with otehr students, i guess its a bit like a dormitory then... But generally the country is so small that you only have to travel max. 200km to get to your college, and go back to your parents every week end. So most of the students look for a real appartment when they start working, but at the same time ,they already have an idea how it is to live alone.

Actually, how old are you now (if you want to tell it)?
I have known someone who, at the age of 30, still lives with his parents, even though he has a girlfriend, has finished college for years and now works. At that point, it sounds kinda ridiculous...

EDIT\ and now that i dont live with my parents anymore, i think that we get along together much better than before. And i enjoy the time i spend with them when i come back home for a few days. No stupid quarrels with my dad anymore!

I'm 23.

Well, I think it's that time too, but my plan is to go graduate school in the fall of 2008. If I want to finance some of that, I don't think living in an apartment for a year is the most feasible thing to do. I mean, I could get an apartment for 6 months or something and see how it is and get used to it if I move away to go to school for a Master's, but I'm not sure how busy we are going to get at work with some new government legislation that is taking place.

I moved out when I was 20. was out for two years and even lived in South Carolina for a year. but ended up coming back home because that place sucked.
now I cant find anyone to move out with :(

I'm 19 and I'm currently working at a Steel Mills factory in Oregon and living with my dad. I've been looking around for places to live since I've graduated High School but my dad believes that I should wait until I have a good credit score and until I work up enough cash in my savings account. So I think it should be until you feel comfortable with your finacial stability.

as soon as fucking possible. moved out when i was 18 and hope to never go back. i'm 21 in sep. guess it depends on the home enviornment. mine isn't bad. really... just so friggin stifeling. also i like to bein the buff :p

I think it depends on when the person is ready, financial situation, job, and it also depends on if you're moving out alone or with someone else.

I moved out when I was 20. was out for two years and even lived in South Carolina for a year. but ended up coming back home because that place sucked.
now I cant find anyone to move out with :(

Move to Cali bro! I'll be needing a roomate after I finish all my pre-reqs! We can play D&D and listen to metal and eat lots of food all day long!!! :kickass:

I think it should be whenever the person can support his or herself on his or her own. As long as they aren't diddling around, then that can be as long as necessary, but I think sooner is better.

I moved to the other side of the world to play in a death metal band as soon as I turned 18. Lived in England for 2 years and had the time of my life. :kickass: