which bass trap?

aeon_drummer

New Metal Member
Mar 10, 2007
ky, usa
www.myspace.com
hey all, long time reader, first time poster. i'm in the market for some bass traps and i don't have time to build my own. i've found a couple on ebay that look pretty good in which one absorbs more low end than the other and is subsequently more expensive.

The more expensive one

this one absorbs .99 nrc at 125 hz and 1.01 nrc at 250 hz. it will cost me just under $400 for 4 including shipping.

cheaper one

this one absorbs .28 nrc at 125 hz and .82 nrc at 250 hz. they'll cost around $200.

both have an overall nrc of 1.05

is the difference between the two a significant enough difference to warrant spending the extra dough on the more expensive ones? forgive my ignorance on the subject, but i guess thats what this board is for, right? thanks!:headbang:

I think the big kicker between the two is that the more expensive one is 4" thick, whereas the less expensive is 2" - they could very well be the same material in both (OC703 or 705, I'd guess), but the thickness makes all the difference, and for corner bass traps it really should be 4". How come you don't wanna make your own, dude? You'll save SO much, and here's a really useful vid tutorial:

And you can buy the OC703 (better than 705 according to Joel DuBay in this thread) and sweet corner mounts from www.readyacoustics.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I built some with some home insulation I had laying around. It's Owens Corning, but not 703 or 705. Surprisingly, it has the same acoustic properties.

Metaltastic is right, Bass traps aren't really worth it unless they are a minimum 4'' thick. Have you checked out GIK Acoustics? http://www.gikacoustics.com/gik_244.html

That works out around midway between your two options, in terms of price. I would wager it's better than both though.