Which converter?

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
Hey guys,

I'm looking to step up my conversion from the RME ADI-8. Budget is about $2-3k. I've been eyeing the SSL AlphaLink for a while now, but had a local studio owner tell me it apparently wasn't all too impressive on tests. Wondering what the best current option is for that price range. Largest requirements are 16-24 tracks (ideally 24), up to 96k sample rate and transparency (so none of that Apogee sound etc.).

Suggestions?

I'm in love with Lavry, but they won't be in your budget, at least not for 16+ channels.
The Apogee do colour a bit indeed, but especially when used with outboard gear I really like that.
The Lynx would be a step up from your ADI, and it's in your price range...
Another option you should definitely consider are the Metric Halo converters, they're great, I don't know how clean they are though

The lynx aurora is great for the money. IMHO it's not as transparent as the lavry black stuff (I haven't heard the blue or gold) but it's super solid.
The SSL alphalink is a bargain but I think the quality is over estimated because of the name on the front. That's not to say it isn't good but I believe it would be a side step from the RME (which is good).

I'd say apogee, but apparently you're not into them?

You really should try to listen to as many as you can. I feel like it's going to be a personal preference thing. Like when you got that Squier bass on word of mouth and then immediately hated it.....

If no apogee is on my list, i'd look at the lynx stuff...

The Aurora is the only one in this price range that I've had any degree of experience with, and I quite liked it. I did a test back in '07, or late '06 and the Aurora totally caned the Rosetta sideways, so I'm not interested in Apogee whatsoever. I've heard that the AlphaLink is based off an Apogee design or something? That makes it even less appealing.

Above all I want to make sure I'm not just moving sideways from the RME. It has to be an actual improvement for it to be worthwhile. If there's nothing sufficiently good in this price range, I'm willing to just hold onto the cash and wait.

the Aurora totally caned the Rosetta sideways, so I'm not interested in Apogee whatsoever.

comon dude, are you serious?
I heard the cheapest converters nowadays sound better than the old Digi 888....that doesn't mean that the digi192 doesn't sound great.

if you've only heard the rosetta, don't judge apogee too quikcly, try the AD16 first, or even their newer line!
From the ADI8 to the AD16x you'll have a huge improvement!

+1 on AD16x. It DESTROYS the RME stuff I've used. I really couldn't believe it at first, but it's quite a massive difference. It's a lot better than Rosetta as well.

I've heard that the AlphaLink is based off an Apogee design or something? That makes it even less appealing.

nah.

Black Lion Audio said:
The XLogic Alpha-Link is a twenty-four channel AD/DA converter circuitry that handles both MADI and ADAT formats. Conversion is based around AKM's AK4620B codec, which is the same converter chip found in the MAudio Profire 2626 and Focusrite Liquid 56. The chip capable of 24 bit 192kHz sampling rate, and has a claimed on-chip S/N+D performance of -100dB (A/D) and 97dB (D/A). In our opinion, the existing converter architecture makes it difficult to stack multiple tracks without the need to utilize corrective EQ.
Analog path is handled by JRC's 4565 opamp, variations of which are found in many pro-sumer audio designs. The behavior of the NJM opamps, while they may look good on paper, offers less than desirable performance in terms of slew behavior, sonic detail, and space. Clocking architecture is based on a pair of HC49 crystals in a Pierce Gate configuration. While the 24 channel count format offers many benefits and features over smaller format converters, sonic character can be significantly improved.

The Aurora's are great but they definitely don't smoke the Apogee's IMO.

I noticed a big step up going from the Digi 003 to the SSL alphalink. I really liked it as I said before to you and getting 24 i/o for that price is super. I haven't A/B tested it against any other highend converter but ppl over at GS (yeah i know) seems to be liking it and even favor it over the Lynx from time to time. Having both d-subs and Adat I/O is great. It's really clean sounding and makes listening to music a joy. It should be an improvement to your RME's but as always ppl seem to be hyping their expensive purchases. Converters are not that necessary to upgrade if you reached a certain quality.

I have first hand experience regarding a comparison between the latest Apogee AD16x Series and the SSL Alpha Link. I have also owned the first Apogee Rosetta Series ...