Which mic stands do you use?

J.DavisNJ

\m/
Nov 8, 2005
NJ, U.S.A.
I know it seems like an arbitrary topic to some, but I need to start researching some quality (but not too expensive) mic stands for micing drums, cabs, etc. I have a couple crappy ones right now, but am looking for some that are stable and decently priced.

Suggestions?

thanks

-Joe

My Quik Lok and On Stage have never let me down! Though I only have one of each, so maybe I just got lucky twice :D Oh yeah, and I bent one of the legs of my Quik Lok when my Recto cab fell off the coffee table I put it on to record and landed on it - but the cab was fine! :lol:

Quik Lok are great - I've never had an issue with them so I've never needed to try anything more expensive.

I got one non-branded one that is fine bent over boom-stylee, but when you stand it up straight and adjust the bottom part's height it gets shorter very slowly - I used it doing vocals with a girl once; we set it up for her whilst she was wearing 5" heels, then after lunch she went back to it barefoot and couldn't work out how it was still the right height :lol:

Steve

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Do you guys have positive experience with the drum clip mic holders?

I was thinking of using these for toms. How about for snares?

-Joe

I need to find some good drum clips as well, the Audix D-Vice ones are awful, they always sag and that stupid flexible bar really doesn't offer you much versatility in terms of placement because it tries to return to a certain position over time while the drum is being hit...

The Shure ones look solid but they don't have any sort of vibration dampening on the clip and they buzz apparently :/

K&M mostly

i still use the one K&M i bought 15 years ago and have used on most of my gigs and rehearsals, and the clamp still works fine.

I have an Audix D-Vice gooseneck clip that works really well, but I'd be wary of phase cancellations from the vibrations from the drum traveling through it and into the mic (delayed from what the capsule is picking up of course, hence the phasing) - I had an issue with this when I had my old 5150 combo sitting on a carpeted floor and blasting away; elevating from the ground (and thus decoupling it) solved the issue, so it's definitely not something to underestimate!

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Do you guys have positive experience with the drum clip mic holders?

I was thinking of using these for toms. How about for snares?

-Joe

I have a bunch sitting in the bottom of a tool box. I never use them anymore, and they are just as expensive as cheap mic stands. Mic stands can be maneuvered a lot easier.