Which MIDI VSTi for custom drum samples?

digitaldeath

Dec 7, 2008
Waterford, Ireland
Hey guys,
While I'm still saving for a new interface and mics, I've gone back to playing around with MIDI drums lately.
I have Superior installed with the Metal Foundry expansion (hadn't used them with my Roland TD-3 in a while) and I'm looking to incorporate some snare, kick and tom samples I've gathered. I'd rather not have to route SD to individual tracks, bounce the audio down and use aptrigga to repalce/blend the kick and snare etc.
Is there a VSTi in which I can say, setup a snare track and assign different velocity snare samples to velocity ranges, so ghost note hits on my e-kit or manually programmed will play ghost samples and hard hits will play the corresponding samples?
I pretty much want a DIY Superior Drummer!

I'm thinking that I'd put this VSTi in the same FX chain as SD and setup its MIDI to match the snare, kick and toms of SD. That way I could load my own multi-velocity samples into this VSTi and easily blend it with SD without having to do alot of messing around when composing.

I've been looking at Kontakt 4 but I dunno if it will do what I want? Is Kontakt overkill for what I want (considering I'll be running SD too) or are there far cheaper (and possibly better) alternatives out there? Come to think of it, how easy is it to do this in aptrigga and what are the limitations?
Thanks in advance!

Niall.

Hey guys,
While I'm still saving for a new interface and mics, I've gone back to playing around with MIDI drums lately.
I have Superior installed with the Metal Foundry expansion (hadn't used them with my Roland TD-3 in a while) and I'm looking to incorporate some snare, kick and tom samples I've gathered. I'd rather not have to route SD to individual tracks, bounce the audio down and use aptrigga to repalce/blend the kick and snare etc.
Is there a VSTi in which I can say, setup a snare track and assign different velocity snare samples to velocity ranges, so ghost note hits on my e-kit or manually programmed will play ghost samples and hard hits will play the corresponding samples?
I pretty much want a DIY Superior Drummer!

I'm thinking that I'd put this VSTi in the same FX chain as SD and setup its MIDI to match the snare, kick and toms of SD. That way I could load my own multi-velocity samples into this VSTi and easily blend it with SD without having to do alot of messing around when composing.

I've been looking at Kontakt 4 but I dunno if it will do what I want? Is Kontakt overkill for what I want (considering I'll be running SD too) or are there far cheaper (and possibly better) alternatives out there? Come to think of it, how easy is it to do this in aptrigga and what are the limitations?
Thanks in advance!

Niall.

You can do this with aptrigga Niall using dynamic mode its pretty easy to set up and you dont need to bounce the audio for it to work either but you will have to route SD to individual tracks however but that takes like two seconds so no big deal

You can do this with aptrigga Niall using dynamic mode its pretty easy to set up and you dont need to bounce the audio for it to work either but you will have to route SD to individual tracks however but that takes like two seconds so no big deal

Nice one, cheers James - I'd better go grab the manual and take a look! Am I limited when it comes to the amount of samples I can load for the different velocities?

BFD2 lets you import your own samples - you can import as many velocity layers as you require, and it will create a kitpiece you can load up and then route or effect in the mixer.

BFD2 lets you import your own samples - you can import as many velocity layers as you require, and it will create a kitpiece you can load up and then route or effect in the mixer.

Wow, I never knew that about BFD! Cheers!
I played around with Aptrigga lastnight and got it working nicely. I'll check out Battery and BFD and see which would suit my needs perfectly. Thanks guys!