Which Would You Rather? A Re-recorded Debut Album or Another Album Like PL & IC?

Which Would You Rather Have?

• Total voters
Hmm...I'd go with the re-recorded self titled album. I'd be very curious to hear what it sounds like with Russ on vocals, and with better sound quality. I'm not talking about a "loudness war" type of thing, but the original mix wasn't that great at all.

If the next album is going to be in the same vein as the past two, then yeah. Absolutely. The re-recording would be a nice change of pace.

Re-recording, absolutely. There are some fantastic ideas on that album that deserve to be heard in full glory. I really don't need another super agressive album.

Re-recording, absolutely. There are some fantastic ideas on that album that deserve to be heard in full glory. I really don't need another super agressive album.

Agreed.

However, I'd rather have them take the best songs from the debut and the best songs from Damnation Game and re-record them (I'm curious to see which songs everyone considers the strongest from these albums). If you filter out the filler songs from both albums, you'd be left with about 75-80 minutes of exceptional music that would rival or exceed Paradise Lost and Iconoclast in my opinion.

As much as I find Paradise Lost and ESPECIALLY Iconoclast to be average, I would rather hear them write new music than re-record songs they wrote during the band's infancy.

So you would rather a new album with songs in the EXACT same vein as PL and IC instead of a re-recorded first album with Russell singing as opposed to growling; just so we're clear.

That was basically the question.

Agreed.

However, I'd rather have them take the best songs from the debut and the best songs from Damnation Game and re-record them (I'm curious to see which songs everyone considers the strongest from these albums). If you filter out the filler songs from both albums, you'd be left with about 75-80 minutes of exceptional music that would rival or exceed Paradise Lost and Iconoclast in my opinion.
The Damnation Game is perfectly fine as it is. Also - and I'm not trying to knock Russell because even though he chooses to sing the way he does now, I know he can still do the other style - I don't believe they'd be able to top some of the vocal performances on that album. "The Edge of Forever" and "A Winter's Dream," especially.

The best songs to me are:

SX:
Rapture Or Pain
*drop in quality*
Premonition
*drop in quality*
Thorns of Sorrow
A Lesson Before Dying
The Raging Season
Masquerade
Absinthe and Rue
*drop in quality*
Taunting The Notorious
Shades of Grey

The Damnation Game:
The Edge of Forever
A Winter's Dream
*drop in quality*
The Haunting
*drop in quality*
Dressed To Kill
Whispers
Secrets
The Damnation Game
*massive drop in quality*
Savage Curtain

This was for me maybe the easiest poll ever... Despite I don´t like "Shades of Gray", I´m preety sure that I´ll be hearing a re-recorded version of it much more than what I´m actually hearing IC (which is almost never).

Agreed.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/symphonyx/725322-symphony-game-damnation-x.html

So you would rather a new album with songs in the EXACT same vein as PL and IC instead of a re-recorded first album with Russell singing as opposed to growling; just so we're clear.

That was basically the question.

Yes, I would. As much as I dislike the direction of the music (and specifically Russell's aggro-tendencies), I respect the band's decision to move forward.

With as long as this band takes to record new material, I think re-recording their first effort is a waste of time. Also, though an argument could be made that the new material is equally pedestrian, I honestly don't think the songs on the s/t are all that strong.

Yes, I would. As much as I dislike the direction of the music (and specifically Russell's aggro-tendencies), I respect the band's decision to move forward.

With as long as this band takes to record new material, I think re-recording their first effort is a waste of time. Also, though an argument could be made that the new material is equally pedestrian, I honestly don't think the songs on the s/t are all that strong.

At least give it a chance, you may be pleasantly surprised(like Masquerade '98).

And it would take the band 1/1 billionth of the time it takes to record a new record; and it might put them on the mighty prog path again. Progressive would be moving forward. This latest stuff is moving AWAY.

Don't a lot of bands who get new singers usually re-record old stuff anyway? Would it really be that much of a waste of time? I mean, yeah we'd like to hear more material, but if they're going to take forever to write new stuff, why not just do this for fun? Isn't that what music is supposed to be?

At least give it a chance, you may be pleasantly surprised(like Masquerade '98).

And it would take the band 1/1 billionth of the time it takes to record a new record; and it might put them on the mighty prog path again. Progressive would be moving forward. This latest stuff is moving AWAY.

I'm totally cool with them redoing a couple of songs as bonus material or just for fun, I think that would be great. As you said, Masquerade is pretty cool.

As far as the direction of the music, I stand by the band to decide what they feel moving forward sounds like. To some degree, a band exists to please its fans, but they also have the creative right to do whatever they want to do. I feel like this is Symphony X's "Load/Reload moment," and when I think about that, well, I listen to Load and Reload less than Master of Puppets, but I enjoy the music for what it is as a part of the band's career.

I'm totally cool with them redoing a couple of songs as bonus material or just for fun, I think that would be great. As you said, Masquerade is pretty cool.

As far as the direction of the music, I stand by the band to decide what they feel moving forward sounds like. To some degree, a band exists to please its fans, but they also have the creative right to do whatever they want to do. I feel like this is Symphony X's "Load/Reload moment," and when I think about that, well, I listen to Load and Reload less than Master of Puppets, but I enjoy the music for what it is as a part of the band's career.

Well I think it's more about being true to yourself. And Romeo, the main composer is said by himself and bandmates(as well as myself) to be better at writing the progressive stuff. But this is just probably a lot of Russ' doing. We may never know. But c'mon, Symphony X haven't totally abandoned their element like the MetalliBrats did with the Load and Reload of Shit.
I can't believe you listen to those albums at all!

Hero Of The Day? c'mon man

If somewhere in time will be something re-recorded by SX, a couple of bonus track is the most that We (the ones that voted for the debut album) could ever get. Still, sounds more interesting that an IC/PL sequel (musically speaking).

If this is their "Load/Reload" moment, Symphony X is done. At least the comparison between bands is totally non-sense (you did compare the "moment", which is different), so there´s still hope.

I would love to hear A Lesson Before Dying with Russell Allen on vocals and modern production.