who believes in god

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm an atheist, and I'll always be an atheist.

If you want to make religion part of your life, awesome... just respect my views, and I'll respect yours.

If I get hit by a bus on my way out to buy the paper, then so what?

You speak as if your life has no meaning whatsoever. Another problem with atheism is that the individual's value is so far lessened. Science has already showed that our ~75 years on this planet is so unimaginably insignificant to the events occuring in the universe. I refuse to accept the fact that human emotions and memories will just rot with its corpse.

Remember - all proofs inevitably lead to propositions which have no proof! All things are known because we want to believe in them.

To Atheists I ask the question so often asked of Theists - why do you convince yourselves of something that has no proof?

Agnosticism rules in the domain of consciousness and rationality, however our reality is defined by both conscious and unconscious elements. God is an Archetype, and individuation requires its acceptance and embracing. To reject God is to reject a part of yourself and to distort your reality.

Oh, man. I posted this topic about a year ago, and it was a bloodbath. I think a few people got banned for rude things. I once got banned, though, so I'm not perfect, either.

I have a better idea for this thread. "Who believes in Kron, the bastard who destroyed all the lands of Algalord? Well, I believe in him and I'm going to destroy him with some Holy Thunderforce! Oh, wait. Dargor, Shadowlord of the Black Mountains, already did that. Well, when I find an evil enemy, it will be Triumph for My Magic Steel." I love Rhapsody.

Korona said:
To Atheists I ask the question so often asked of Theists - why do you convince yourselves of something that has no proof?
Although I keep an open mind to almost anything, I'm not going to base my life around something that hasn't been scientifically proven. I believe that maybe it's possible that there is a god, but I wouldn't want to risk worshipping something that may not even exist. And if a god does exist, and there is some sort of an afterlife, then I'll face the consequences when that time comes. Plus, even if god existed, I don't think I would turn down that path. I did used to go to religious education classes when I was young and didn't have much of a choice, and the god that was preached about there seems unfair and even cruel. I'd rather spend my time looking up to my idols.

soundgarden said:
You speak as if your life has no meaning whatsoever. Another problem with atheism is that the individual's value is so far lessened. Science has already showed that our ~75 years on this planet is so unimaginably insignificant to the events occuring in the universe. I refuse to accept the fact that human emotions and memories will just rot with its corpse.

Really? I find it hard to imagine that a believer could possibly value life more than an atheist, since the atheist understands that life is finite. It may be insignificant to the events occurring in the universe, but so what? Is it insignificant to you? You think that in 75 years, you could even come close to experiencing all the possibilities that this "insignificant" life could offer you? Of course not.

Emotions and memories do not simply rot with most of us - the live on in our loved ones and our works. True, they won't be yours anymore...but your choices in life can prolong your significance beyond the grave for as long as you want.

Korona said:

This is a fundamental misunderstanding of atheism - you will find very, very few atheists who will flatly tell you that there is no way there is or ever was a god. We believe there is no god in the same way we believe there isn't a lost island of dinosaurs in the South Pacific; sure it's conceivable, but not worth worrying about.

Additionally - the burden of proof is not on us. It's the believers who are making the way-out claim that there is an omnipotent deity who created the universe and keeps track of our every movie and will judge us when we die, etc etc etc. They are the ones claiming truth to a belief that defies reason, science and logic. The burden of proof is upon them; I don't need to disprove it any more than I need to disprove the existence of leprechauns and unicorns. (I know the comparison is unavoidably condescending, and for that I apologize, but it does get the point across)

Tyrannorabbit said:
This is a fundamental misunderstanding of atheism - you will find very, very few atheists who will flatly tell you that there is no way there is or ever was a god. We believe there is no god in the same way we believe there isn't a lost island of dinosaurs in the South Pacific; sure it's conceivable, but not worth worrying about.
That's what an agnostic is surely...

Tyrannorabbit said:
Additionally - the burden of proof is not on us. It's the believers who are making the way-out claim that there is an omnipotent deity who created the universe and keeps track of our every movie and will judge us when we die, etc etc etc. They are the ones claiming truth to a belief that defies reason, science and logic. The burden of proof is upon them; I don't need to disprove it any more than I need to disprove the existence of leprechauns and unicorns. (I know the comparison is unavoidably condescending, and for that I apologize, but it does get the point across)
The difference with your comparison is that the leprechauns and unicorns have nothing to do with immortality while religions do, which is what my concern would be if I were an atheist. Like many people, I enjoy being conscious and free-thinking, if that is what I am, and would like to pursue this state beyond the expiry date of my body. Surely then, the burden of unbelieving is laid heavy on the atheists - those who believe firmly they will end when their body does.

I don't know either way - if we have a soul and go on to some afterlife at the arrangement of a superior beind, or if we're just some chemical reactions from which the illusion of thought and experience arise, and the illusion ends when the body does.
Approaching the issue scientifically, I find no proof for god and more to suggest that we're puppets of chaos theory instead of being conscious on a higher level than the cause and effect interaction of atoms. That's not to say I've done any significant amount of research on the subject - just from what I know, have heard, and derived. I'd rather believe in an immortal soul, but I have no evidence to support such an idea.

soundgarden said:

I'm not saying that my life has no value whatsoever, but in the big scheme of things, I'm insignificant.

Beelzebub said:
I'm not saying that my life has no value whatsoever, but in the big scheme of things, I'm insignificant.
I'm not. I'm also not going to die.

Tyrannorabbit said:
This is a fundamental misunderstanding of atheism - you will find very, very few atheists who will flatly tell you that there is no way there is or ever was a god.

I dont agree, atheism means NO GOD. It is a statement of fact. Only agnosticism requires no proof as it is an admision of ignorance. Any affirmative position (as any good scientist knows) is only a theory, an ultimate proof is impossible other than within axioms which are a form of belief. We beleive things becasue we CHOOSE to believe them.

I think the 'fundamental misunderstanding' is our continued belief that you can deal with God in the realm of rational debate. You can argue yourself into a corner but ultimatly the only rational position to take is that of agnosticism. God is not rational but then again our experiance isnt purely rational either, it isnt even purely conscious. Rather than reject or ignore a part of our experiance as humans I think it is healthier to embrace it. It is relevant and therefore important (in the same way lost dinosaurs are not) becasue God is an archetype, the concept is a force within our psyches whether we accept it or suppress it.

TotenMitMacht said:
I have a better idea for this thread. "Who believes in Kron, the bastard who destroyed all the lands of Algalord? Well, I believe in him and I'm going to destroy him with some Holy Thunderforce! Oh, wait. Dargor, Shadowlord of the Black Mountains, already did that. Well, when I find an evil enemy, it will be Triumph for My Magic Steel." I love Rhapsody.
You're the man. Rock on. :headbang:

I am a Christian and I don't believe arguing about God's existance will contribute to anything. And I also think God's existance shouldn't rely on the arguments of people who believe in him, because chances are, they aren't as clever as the people who they argue with. I wouldn't want Jesus to rely on MY intelligence :)

There are definetly people who twist the Bible and use God's Word for their own purposes.

Hehe, i also think it is a funny concept of life (that is, if God doesn't exist): Born to eat, eat to grow, grow to fuck, fuck to reproduce and finnaly to die. Doing deeds, being 'good', 'nice' and 'living a virtuous life' only helps others go through with this cycle.

But it is good to see a nice conversation taking place.

Status
Not open for further replies.