who created the not man?

spitzs lazy eye

Look me in the eye!!!
May 20, 2005
this seems like a dumb question. the reason i ask is, back in the late 80's (i lived in adelaide australia at the time) you could buy a finger puppet that looked EXACTLY like the not man from various cheap/$2 shops. it was just the head of the not man with 3 finger holes on the back so you could move its mouth. now, as far as im concerned this image belongs to anthrax. maybe it was a rip off and somebody cashed in on the popularity of the band. does anybody know what i am talking about? was this an official product? i am unaware of it as official. anybody......

pretty sure its the otherway round, (Finger puppet before notman) there was a thread with a picture of those puppets not so long ago...........

On their video NFV, Charlie talks about the Notman, saying it was based on Johnny Z (whoever that is) when he drank too much one night and had a fit.....

That would be the Johnny Z of CraZed management, who managed Anthrax at the time. But I think you'll find Charlie was just joshing.

I still have one of those finger puppet things.

spitzs lazy eye said:
this seems like a dumb question. the reason i ask is, back in the late 80's (i lived in adelaide australia at the time) you could buy a finger puppet that looked EXACTLY like the not man from various cheap/$2 shops. it was just the head of the not man with 3 finger holes on the back so you could move its mouth. now, as far as im concerned this image belongs to anthrax. maybe it was a rip off and somebody cashed in on the popularity of the band. does anybody know what i am talking about? was this an official product? i am unaware of it as official. anybody......

Hey there South Australian
They had the same thing over in Perth
In Fact at the start of the I'm the man video clip there it is!

ThraxSA said:
On their video NFV, Charlie talks about the Notman, saying it was based on Johnny Z (whoever that is) when he drank too much one night and had a fit.....
Johnny Z helped create "thrash metal". He rules.

The Notman Finger Puppet is also in the very end of the "Indians" video.

The finger puppets definitely came out before Anthrax made it into their not man. I have a picture of me playing with one of them when I was I'm guessing around 5 or 6 and that was before Anthrax even existed.