who gets the money

Oct 8, 2005
just writing a quick post before i go to work.
I'm wondering if anyone knows who gets the money when a person purchases a used record from the record store. Does the store get it only? or does it somehow make it's way to the artist and company?
Also with itunes? does the artist a good amount of money with that? or does the itunes? or the record company?
the thing that brought this up was debating which version to buy an album, vinyl from a record store, would the artist get any money? or download from itunes? (it's an old record btw, Sly and the Family Stone's Stand! album)

and if anyone has any info about them (i just heard a couple of songs today by them and liked them. i think i'll download first, and then make my decision to buy or not)

Artist gets nothing when you buy a used record. He's already been paid for it when the album was first bought. So when you buy uses albums, it all goes to the record score (who has bought it from someone who originally bought it new). With itunes, I'd imagine that the artist gets about as much as with CD's, which isn't that much in most cases though. Maybe someone with more knowledge on the subject here may know the average amount an artist gets for a CD? I think I heard something like 10% somewhere, but don't know...

They do get paid. Usually the same percentage given to the artist applies for itunes as it does for CD. This may vary with label policy but in my experience I've gotten the same percentage from iTunes as physical releases.

"According to Moses Avalon's 1998 Book, Confessions of a Record
Producer, the proceeds of a then-$17 CD would typically be distributed
as follows:
Retailer: $5 (29.4%),
Record label: $4.92 (28.9%),
Distributor: $2.40 (14.1%),
Giveaways: $1.80 (10.6%),
Duplication/recording: $1.10 (5.8%),
Artist royalty: 83 cents (4.9%),
Songwriter license: 60 cents (3.5%),
Producer royalty: 27 cents (1.6%),
Musicians union: 8 cents (0.4%). "

the retailer would buy in the cd at the price the label would charge(which will cover the cost of all the money they fronted for the artist to produce a cd, ensuring a return and then another mark up so that they gain profit), and would then mark it up so that they have a profit margin

itunes has a double paying quota...if ur major...u get a mere coupe of cents.....but if ur signed up as an independent then u get way more...for every record I sell on itunes for $9.99...i get a check for $7.25 ....and for every .99 cents song I sell...i get a good .70 cents.......so it depends....id say apple looks out for the lil guys.......and offcoruse ill shamelesslyt plug my album ....whihc is on http://www.itunes.com and search "wasim"......hope u like it.....:)......PEAC EOUT

as far as writers getting ripped off, the record label uses its capital to support these artists and i see it only fair that they not only set themselves a guarantee to get that money back but also to make a profit from it, otherwise the band and the label will go to shit.
Though i feel that maybe some labels dont do enough for bands generally, perhaps not giving them the exposure they need to ensure that profit for both sides, but its a business and its numbers at the end of the day so whatev. As the artist, you signed the deal, get on with it.

as usual forgetting publishing deals for the composer/s who get most of the money