O.k How do mainstream bands make their money

Reign in Acai

Of Elephant and Man
Jun 25, 2003
Favela of My Dismay
In my previous post i asked who gets the money from t-shirt purchases. Someone replied the band and that most of the money a band makes is from shirt purchases. Well that sounds like it can be true. But not for mainstream bands who are living the life in the lap of luxury. So how do they make their millions? Do the record companies cut them in on fatter profits all around the table? Do they get fat percentages from ticket sales, record sales, and merchandise? Or is it all from endorsements? Now michael jackson didnt make hundreds of millions of dollars off of t-shirts lol. So can somebody enlighten me?

They sell a lot of shirts making them for cheaper. Most of the money comes from touring. They also sell gold/platinum albums. Better record labels.

They get a cut from ticket sales (of course) so that means that large bands playing sold out arena shows will make a significant amount of money from that as well.

most of the money a band makes comes form touring, then prob merch like shirts, and they get shit from the album, its like a buck an album mabye more who knows

A very good friend of mine and I were just talking about this the other day. He's in a very well-known band that has sold numerous records. He said his cut is like 19 cents a record sale after all is said and done. All of the money he makes, and he does quite well, is from touring and merchandise. It's pretty sad, if you think about it.

well, 19 cents times 1 million albums equals $190,000 Fairly decent (if they sold a million albums). excluding money earned from touring and royalties from merch.

what band is your friend in BTW raven?