Bands selling out/Mainstream bands

(M)aggoT said:
So why CoF became mainstream? They play less agressive then in older albums and they have changed a record label to "Roadrunner Records". Deicide are also in RR but they play good death metal.

CoF became mainstream because they starting making videos, and countless merchandise, and have an image more appealing to younger audience thus expanding their fan base. They've been mainstream for the past few years, so it really has nothing to do with Roadrunner. Nevertheless I still am a fan of them, even though their first 4 albums are far greater than any of their later releases.

Personally, I don't like Deicide at all. In my opinion, their music is completely boring. But the reason why they haven't become mainstream is b/c the play death metal. It really is the younger audiences that make the band mainstream, and Glen's vocals certainly don't appeal to young korn fans!

blakscorpion21 said:
true, the public has no taste for good music, but as far as musicianship any body with enough practice could play any death metal song out there. u call thaem unskilled but really they could be just playing how they want to. they dont feel the need to have overly technical music so they dont. you really wouldnt know how skilled they were. i would say that log is as skilled as any band but they choose a more simplistic sound. they have been at it for a while, relativley speaking, and could prolly play most anything they wanted.

When Lamb of God's guitarist starts playing something like Emperor leads or an Azaghoth solo I'll be convinced, until then I'll hold my opinion that musicianship-wise they can't touch many high-level Metal bands, nor can many other Metalcore bands (although as I said in a previous thread, there are Metalcore musicians who are talented but they confine their creativity to their genre and still end up playing the same type of stuff as everyone else).
Give me some examples of a Metalcore band that has significantly evolved enough to even go as far to supercede their genre other then in a more mainstream direction

Just to quote from Ken Owen (Drummer for Carcass when they were around) from the 'Choice Cuts' best of CD panphlet. "In order to maximise our fanbase we changed and adapted our style" - On Heartwork. I found this interesting coz hes sort of saying that they did change the way that they started off to become more popular. I dont really think this is a bad thing though, because the more people that know about Carcass, the better. And although Heatwork is kind of a popish albumn in that it has melodies and stuff, i still dig it, and i dig their older stuff as well

Matthauz said:
I've seen a lot on here of metalheads bitching about bands that are mainstream, such as Lamb Of God, one of my personal favourites. Simply saying :

"They're too mainstream, and that makes them shit"

It makes me sick when people bitch about bands becoming mainstream.

People start bands to make music and get famous, to put their music out and touch as many people as possible. That's what music is about, making a buck or two is a bonus and merely a result of our culture.

I'm sure most bands would still be just as happy if instead of getting money for their music they simply got everyone in the world who digged it to come up to them and say 'you rock, your music stirrs something inside of me, that makes me disconnect from the normal world' (that's how music makes me feel anyway), or words to that effect.

Lamb Of God are pretty mainstream compaired to say Urban Nightmare or someone (who? you say, exactly.) but they are by no means as mainstream and popular as say Slayer, but I don't hear people bitching about Slayer 'selling out'.

Simply, if a band is a good band and people dig them they will become mainstream, so I don't wanna hear anyone saying a band is shit because they have lots of fans that buy their records. You people that say that are narrow minded fools.

Me, I think Lamb Of God fucking rock, and I couldn't give two shits if they were mainstream or not.
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

I'm sure a lot of bands to sell out purposefully, a perfect example being Powerman 5000 who openly admit it but please people, try and understand the economics of :

Good music = fans = mainstreamness

I'd like to hear a how man people would complain if say... (insert rather unknown metal band here) became mainstream and were in the billboard top 10.

If say Opeth did it, top of the billboard charts, I wouldn't be like "Opeth are shit now theyre mainstream", I'd simply say "I don't REALLY care, but good for them".

Would you rather be solitary in knowing a band rocks or would you like all your mates to think they rock too?

I think the latter would make life a lot more fun.

To me it's not that they're mainstream its the way that they got mainstream and thats by SELLING OUT.