What is mainstream to you?

Too mainstream for me:

ACDC: Who doesnt have a stupid acdc shirt in my school

Metallica: THey are just horrendous and they are too overrated. Plus, who hasnt seen that FLAMING SKULL metallica shirt? ugh

KISS: Curse all you gimmick making, platform wearing, bad corpse paint sporting, teased haired, Spiked belt strutting, i wanna rock and roll all night and party every day singing, shitty sevendies and eighties rock bands.

KORN AND SLIPKNOT: Lose the dreads. Lose the masks. Get off much music. Buy a " suicide for dummys" book at walmart.

its really annoying how popular they are.

To me, mainstream stuff begins with popular metalcore/metal bands such as Hatebreed, Lamb of God, Opeth, Trivium, etc. Of course, Pantera, Megadeth, and all the other most popular metal bands are mainstream in my book, along with all nu metal.

Holly.R.Wells said:
Too mainstream for me:

So are you saying that they suck just because they're mainstream sort of? Quiet honestly, I like them. I don't give a shit if they're mainstream.

Holly.R.Wells said:
Metallica: THey are just horrendous and they are too overrated. Plus, who hasnt seen that FLAMING SKULL metallica shirt? ugh

If you're talking about new Metallica, then you're right. However, old Metallica is good. I like they're stuff from 83-91. However, all of their albums since then suck. Especially, St. Anger.

Holly.R.Wells said:
KISS: Curse all you gimmick making, platform wearing, bad corpse paint sporting, teased haired, Spiked belt strutting, i wanna rock and roll all night and party every day singing, shitty sevendies and eighties rock bands..

Kiss is good, what are you talking about? Yeah, their facepaint, and all that other stuff they wear can be a little annoying, but they're still good.

So in other words, you only hate those bands because of their popularity. Maybe I'm wrong though.

cookiecutter said:
Oh no it's happened to your school too? :ill:

Oh yes, the "retro" phase has hit teenagers across the globe. AC/DC, The Ramones, The Misfits, The Sex Pistols and old-Metallica have erupted, and it makes me a very sad panda indeed.

I agree that anything that gets on the top 40 main chart would be classified as mainstream. I just WISH a music channel would have a late night slot dedicated to metal (I've heard of headbangers ball but my cable here doesn't have MTV)

Mainstream to me is any band who's t-shirts can be bought at Newbury Comics (i.e. Led Zeppelin, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Pantera, AC/DC).

Also including any band that gets somewhat regular airplay on FM radio stations. This doesn't include those 1 AM metal power-hours and the like.

They can be overplayed sometimes, but trust me, I hear rap alot more often than I hear those bands. In my school, and especially the city I live in, rap is 10x's as popular as metal or classic rock, which is one of the reasons why I'm moving soon.

However, it is your opinon so I won't jab it down your throat. It just frustrates me sometimes to here others bashing my favorite bands. I'll shut up now. =P

Holly.R.Wells said:
Too mainstream for me:

KISS: Curse all you gimmick making, platform wearing, bad corpse paint sporting, teased haired, Spiked belt strutting, i wanna rock and roll all night and party every day singing, shitty sevendies and eighties rock bands.

KORN AND SLIPKNOT: Lose the dreads. Lose the masks. Get off much music. Buy a " suicide for dummys" book at walmart.

its really annoying how popular they are.

Classic female response... little to no mention of the music, much emphasis on appearance and physical aesthetics.

Dodens Grav said:
I think they're sufficiently wide-spread enough to be deemed mainstream. They've appeared on tv plenty of times, for instance, and they're part of the annoying vintage heavy metal shirt retro cuntfuck craze where everyone want a 1980 British Steel t-shirt or a 1982 Number of the Beast.

The only time I've EVER seen a Judas Priest shirt, besides on myself or friends is at a concert. They ain't sold in Hot Topic (unlike Maiden's, or Pantera...). Oh, yeah, anyone notice the whoring of Dime lately? Gonna become another Kurt Cobain, no disrespect meant, but yeah...

Megadeth mainstream? Maybe for metalheads, but I don't think so...

Holly.R.Wells said:
I just dont like their music in general- and those physical aspects that go along with the bands just make it harder for me to like them.... If you want me to rant about the music, i can..

brian johnson's voice is just aggrivating to me....and i like complex music, not something that will be overplayed on a radio a million times over. No doubt, they were able to win over millions of fans, but not me. I dont like they whole austrailian hard rock/ heavy metal genre.

for kiss...Not doubting their ability to make music- theyve made lots of songs that people love... but when they are replayed over and worn out- that it they should just leave it.. but NO... here they keep it up.. and they are still doing it.. as for what i said about their physical gimmick, its true. The whole facepaint thing and outfits were an attempt to make people remeber them and buy their stuff ( comics, albums, figurines, all types of that parafanalia) I think that bands should be known mainly for their MUSIC and not use the appearance as a way to win over fans.

as goes for korn and slipknot- I just plain hate them.. I hate the songs they write... i hate the style of music... and im DEFINATELY not the first one to bash either one of them. Someone once told me that slipknot were named the best instrumentalists in the world- i mean we all know that there are more amazingly talented people that arent so popular as they are among the mainstream...they give a whole bad perception to the clueless as to what metal is... i tell you, ive encountered more then one person whos told me that they listen to death metal- that to them being slipknot or korn or mudvayne or something like that...

and thats the way i feel... *waits for bashing*

:kickass: :kickass: :kickass: Rock on!

I think their is a key difference between what people perceive to be mainstream bands in the actual sense (record sales, mtv, endorsements) and what sounds "mainstream".

Some bands may embody both aspects of mainstream or maybe only one. For instance, Tool is quite mainstream in the popularity sense but their music is pretty far from 'mainstream' sounding. Recent In Flames on the other hand, sells ok but when compared to record sales of a band like Tool they pale in comparison. However IF music is arguably much more "mainstream" sounding than Tool's.