What is mainstream to you?

What is normal or mainstream changes slightly every 500kms you travel, the meaning of the term does not change however. If you are more specific with the question, then obviously the answer will change. What is mainstream to the general public will be a lot different to what is mainstream within the metal community or any other. I personally think it is more than just knowing a bands name, for a band to be mainstream for me there must also be some sort of appreciation or knowledge of what that band is doing, regardless of liking what is being done.

Spectacular Views said:
its a relative term
No, it isn't. When a band is on the radio and on TV they are mainstream. Simple, clearcut term with a simple, clearcut definition.
DeathsSweetEmbrace said:
The very instant someone outside of the band starts listening to a band's music, that band has become mainstream.
That's really fucking gay. That defintion is completely retarted.

ender7227 said:
There is a middle gorund between kvlt and mainstream.
You gouys amaze me sometimes.
But I'm sure I amaze you nearly all the time, so it's fair, I guess.

You amaze me for your lack of ability to understand sarcasm. But you are way cooler now than when you first came here :kickass: :kickass: :kickass:

ender7227 said:
No, it isn't. When a band is on the radio and on TV they are mainstream. Simple, clearcut term with a simple, clearcut definition.

That's really fucking gay. That defintion is completely retarted.

Main Entry: sar·casm
Pronunciation: 'sär-"ka-z&m
Function: noun
Etymology: French or Late Latin; French sarcasme, from Late Latin sarcasmos, from Greek sarkasmos, from sarkazein to tear flesh, bite the lips in rage, sneer, from sark-, sarx flesh; probably akin to Avestan thwar&s- to cut
1 : a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain <tired of continual sarcasms>
2 a : a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual b : the use or language of sarcasm <this is no time to indulge in sarcasm>

Or, if that confuses you ender my friend, refer to cookiecutter's post above.