Why shouldn't Metal be MainStream?

My two cents.

The people that listen to music to fit-in or be cool? Take bands like simple plan, good.. what ever their name is.. regardless take a look at the "fans" that listen to it and follow, the fashion, all that nosense, I would much rather it stay underground, although I do like Arch Enemy. :eek:

~Cheers Yenom

In the end, it´s a matter of publishing and the way of promotion. Just imagine a young not known band that record an album like "Iowa" or the last Korn album. I am sure it will not sell like hell and for sure it would be not mainstream. Also I see no reason why Slipknot should sell so much albums, their music is far away from easy listening stuff.
The good thing about metal in the big media machine is, that young people get a first contact with this kind of music and may stay in there and so keep the scene alive.

YenomTheDark said:
My two cents.

The people that listen to music to fit-in or be cool? Take bands like simple plan, good.. what ever their name is.. regardless take a look at the "fans" that listen to it and follow, the fashion, all that nosense, I would much rather it stay underground, although I do like Arch Enemy. :eek:

~Cheers Yenom

the same goes for the opposite. people who listen to music to not fit in or to purely be different are just as bad. actually, you can really just say that anyone who doesn't just form their own opinion based on what they hear/feel (whatever), rather than how other people react to it, just outright suck at life.

i dont see how liking bands other people "don't get" or other people think "are cool" makes any difference to what you hear when you listen to it. if it does, you have bigger issues to worry about. ergo, whether a band is underground in that sense, makes no difference whatsoever.

The mainstream is evil. The industry targets idiotic teenagers to buy the music, therefore morphing a genre into a shadow of what it used to stand for, and turning it into a meaningless, idiotic, talentless, easy to listen to type of "music".

If I was offered millions to have my music played on MTV, I would still tell them to shove it. It is the principle. Once a large corporation buys you, your music turns to crap and is copied by the most mindless people you can think of. People are stupid, and they want crap music, so why on earth would "good" metal ever be mainstream? Think about that.

Never78 said:
The mainstream is evil. The industry targets idiotic teenagers to buy the music, therefore morphing a genre into a shadow of what it used to stand for, and turning it into a meaningless, idiotic, talentless, easy to listen to type of "music".

If I was offered millions to have my music played on MTV, I would still tell them to shove it. It is the principle. Once a large corporation buys you, your music turns to crap and is copied by the most mindless people you can think of. People are stupid, and they want crap music, so why on earth would "good" metal ever be mainstream? Think about that.

You don't automatically become crap if a corporation buys you out, it happens because they will only buy you out if you are willing to make music that will appeal to the masses.

Never78 said:

Your music doesn't turn to crap by merit of it being popular, dumbass. You make a lot of stupid points here, nice job.

lol. Typical of a person who does not understand my post to call me a dumbass. Read it again, and think about it a little bit this time before you put words in my mouth.

Popularity does not make music crap; I am saying that the mainstream is largely just that. Look at who demands it. Look at the people who watch MTV. They do not want complex musical composition; their programmed brains and short attention spans cannot handle it. The day that an album such as Nattens Madrigal is as popular as the music of Korn is the day you can call me a dumbass for saying this.

I called you a dumbass for saying this: "Once a large corporation buys you, your music turns to crap."

I don't think anyone would disagree with me here besides you in saying that this is a stupid statement.

Only if you take it at face value. One thing leads to another.....not always, but most of the time. Like I said, if you took the time, you would have seen what I was saying. Of course I was not implying that a magic wand is waved and POOF you sound like crap....

You need to say what you mean, and not expect people to intuit what you mean, which is why I called you a dumbass. I know what you meant, but you said it completely wrong. A Metal band has to change its music before it ever gets picked up by the mainstream, not the other way around.

True. Big name labels do try their hardest however to make you convert ever so slowly and that is why so many avoid them, and remain independent. Yes perhaps I should have said that instead, but my anger gets the best of me sometimes. The music industry is the worst.

well some of metal is pretty mainstream, you see ozzy on mtv, on jay leno etc, and he his supposed to be the metal icon...

its true however that most experimental metal bands would never get mainstream unless they change their sound, but that happens to all kinds of music, not just metal. every genre has more and less accessible music.

still compared to jazz,classical, progressive music, metal is more mainstream
you got maiden, sabbath, ozzy, metallica, megadeth, pantera,etc all big names, now its true some of those opted to become more commercial, but at one point, they were still metal , shitty metal but metal :tickled:

plus you still can see a bit of metal on mtv, jazz , classical on mtv? you got to be kidding eheh, simple because there's in no image involved, not appelative to young people.

for the more experimental metal bands and other "sophisticated" genres of music to become mainstream, there would have to a great change in society, industries all want to make money, kids have no interest in good music, they only care about image so they could score with girls, most people want to be entertained by music, media...

music would have to be taught in normal school,i actually had music class in my school , but they should teach with modern examples, you just can't go teach kid to like and play beethoven when he is 12 years old, first go with what is mainstream, make them aprecciate music, then gradually build interest in other more mature styles. i never cared about that music class :/

radios would have to stop playing crap....fuck, its impossible....this would never happen...

If death and black metal as they're known now went mainstream (if it were possible; I don't think that it is possible for good DM and BM to truly go mainstream, but assuming that it were), it would be the best thing possible for the genres.

1. It would shut down the "kvlt kiddies" who judge releases (and themselves) by how rare they are. As a result of them not being able to judge themselves by their rare releases, a lot of these fags would leave and go elsewhere.

2. It would remove "support the underground" arguments for buying shitty albums.

3. More exposure = greater level of competition = better bands.

If it weren't so easy to get a CD out I might feel differently (back when it was difficult to get a CD out, it exerted a sort of evolutionary pressure on bands so that only the dedicated ones could release material), but since it's easy to get CDs out, the "underground" as it is serves no more purpose.

Cynical said:
If death and black metal as they're known now went mainstream (if it were possible; I don't think that it is possible for good DM and BM to truly go mainstream, but assuming that it were), it would be the best thing possible for the genres.

1. It would shut down the "kvlt kiddies" who judge releases (and themselves) by how rare they are. As a result of them not being able to judge themselves by their rare releases, a lot of these fags would leave and go elsewhere.

2. It would remove "support the underground" arguments for buying shitty albums.

If it weren't so easy to get a CD out I might feel differently (back when it was difficult to get a CD out, it exerted a sort of evolutionary pressure on bands so that only the dedicated ones could release material), but since it's easy to get CDs out, the "underground" as it is serves no more purpose.

THANK YOU. Finally somebody fucking correctly interprets my argument.

Cynical said:

Holy shit I was not expecting this. Right on, mate!

Metal was as close to mainstream in 1984 as any music that I can remember. Whether it was on the radios, being sold in the record stores, or the endless concerts that came through town, Metal was "it" back in the day. Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Dio,.....they were everywhere.

Not just Metal, but Hard Rock like AC/DC, Def Leppard, Scorpions, Van Halen, Motley Crue, Quiet Riot, Ratt, Dokken, etc. And then the Hair Metal bands a few years later like Poison, Warrant, Europe, and White Lion. So IMO, yeah.....Metal had a crack at mainstream and were for a brief time.

Different time, different era. This type of music was at an infancy stage.....and then things changed with all the sub-genres of the music.

alot of people i show metal too, they just shoot id down because of the growling. thats how i was when i first started listening, you just nee to force those stubborn fuckers to listen to a few songs! For fucks sake play them Forsakens "one more hill." theyll love that one. thats just death metal though, im surprised that power metal isnt big. the only thing i know is metal will be back, slowly but surely, and hopefully we can clean society of this shit they call "rap." thats about it.