Why shouldn't Metal be MainStream?

JUNIOR6886

New Metal Member
Dec 5, 2005
Hey Im new here and I have a simple question: Why is it that most metal fans think metal belongs in the "underground?" I for one would like to see great (I dont mean Korn) metal bands becoming mainstream and having their music videos played on MTV. What do you guys think? Wouldnt you rather see a Children of Bodom or An Archenemy music video on TV than a shitty teen pop band? :hotjump:

Yeah it's true man. I like those too bands but they are pretty poppy as metal goes. That pretty much answers your question though. Those bands are populer and get on TV occasionaly because of the prominence of hooks in there music. I know there are melodys in much heavier music but that fact is that it's more likely that an AE or COB song will get stuck in your head then a Demilich song (there's an underground band!) so basically I think you're just uninformed and really, music like Arch Enemy and Children of Bodom is creaping into the mainstream for better or for worse right now. (okay, for worse I know.)

I have always thought metal won't get popular its too complex and takes time to know what good metal is... alot of my favorite bands have grown on my so much... unlike bands like children of bodom that i liked 4 years ago right away... then 2 months later i was bored, but a band like demigod i have been listening for a year... i still enjoy and listen frequently

When, and let me stress when metal bands go mainstream, it is usually because they comprise the quality and integrity of their music for commercial appeal. True metal bands use complex rhythms and melodies, and tend to avoid (obvious) verse/chorus/verse formats. Metal cannot become mainstream by virtue of the fact that it is not a form of music, in its purest form, that can appeal to the masses. Classical and jazz music are also stuck in this rut. You're average, casual listener of music, can not and does not wish to wrap their heads around atypical compositions, that's why they listen to mindless drivel like Nickelback, Kelly Clarkson, and 50 Cent.

I think the question should be why not make money with the music you love and you live for? What could be better than make the hobby and passion to your job? If a band didn´t change the style only because of a possible commercial success I see no problem. And lets be serious, you´ll not find some real hard metal music in the charts for a longer time, except for the scandinavian countries.

DeathsSweetEmbrace said:
You're average, casual listener of music, can not and does not wish to wrap their heads around atypical compositions

Personally I think it's better that the mass of general music fans don't really get into metal, because they don't seem to have any judgement they just jump on whatever band that is given to them.

That may sound elitist, but it's true, most mainstream fans will say they like virtually every band that is shown on the music channels. With this kind of hazy indifference are they really the fan base most true metal bands WANT to be aiming at?

e.g. if I form a band, at least one that plays a non-mainstream style, I wouldn't AIM for that mainstream market, I'd actually be more content to be respected within the music community who like that sort of music, and touring and releasing albums at a more "underground" level would content me I think, as long as I knew that the people who were actually into my stuff weren't just those who were going 'METUL!!!' and swallowing it.

Of course anyone would like to have the band as their actual job, so they don't need any other form of income, but that's another matter. If we're just talking about the target fanbase, then I would be looking towards the 'underground scene' (don't really like the term anyway) rather than the MTV crowd.

I don't think mass exposure is healthy for most styles of metal, and tends to dumb-down and simplify those acts that do target that media world.

To answer the primary poster's question..

Being popular entails being in favour with a large number of people. The bands (and artists in any form of work) which achieve this, instead of striving to produce the greatest work possible, usually set out with the aim of being popular or to make money. That is, they create music as a means, not an end. Does this necessarily entail that the work is inferior? As a general rule, yes. In history, the great artists usually did not profit from their works as they became famous only long after their deaths. This is because the music/painting/sculpture was too far above the public's head for them to appreciate it at the time. If metal is to win favour with the current generation, it will have to lower its standard so it can be appreciated by the ordinary man. While Children of Bodom and Arch Enemy have made this compromise, and other bands do the same striving for popular recognition, the underground bands wishing to maintain their integrity will be indifferent towards such success.

Metal is getting closer to maistream, not musicall.
Hip hop wasn´t mainstream....look now
techno wasn´t mainstream....look now.
Metal is friendly (mainly) when you learn how to listenen to it.
Current trend it add more instruments into music, young people start to dislike classic mainstream style...give it owns time..our childen will listen to heavier music than us - in general.
I may be wrong, it´s just my suppouse.

dudes, pitchfork just reviewed sunn O)))'s black1 and gave it an 8.9. (stylus had them beat by months, but no one reads stylus). and they reviewed 3 boris albums, all on the same day.

dudes, get out your vans shoes and your new $300 pre-paint-splattered jeans, metal's coming back in a big way :cool:

Dodens Grav said:
Why do Metal fans think Metal fans don't think Metal should be mainstream?

Because metal is for underground nihilistic rebels that do not believe in anything that others hold close to their hearts!!

I just dont want to deal with fucking idiots asking me about Cradle of Filth and the newest Korn album since they consider themselves metal.. [shrugs] I hate that and I definately see more people like that showing up if Metal Goes mainstream. Thats the only problem I see. That and MTV whoring it out like they do Metalxcore and shit like that.

Fredy_Brown said:
KoRn isn´t mainstred, CoF is.
You will see lot of metal stuff on MTV "soon".

>_> You are an idiot.

Metal should not go mainstream, because to go mainstream (most of the time, anyways) a band will have to change their sound and artistic integrity to do so.

I mean look at what the Black Eyed Peas did (Rap yes I know but for the time being this example will work). They were a great "alternative" rap group, and then they decided. Hmm, mainstream time. They get a female in their band and start writing sex related lyrics with a catchier sound to them, and well lost all their credibility.

Ex-cally-boo said:
>_> You are an idiot.

Metal should not go mainstream, because to go mainstream (most of the time, anyways) a band will have to change their sound and artistic integrity to do so.

I mean look at what the Black Eyed Peas did (Rap yes I know but for the time being this example will work). They were a great "alternative" rap group, and then they decided. Hmm, mainstream time. They get a female in their band and start writing sex related lyrics with a catchier sound to them, and well lost all their credibility.
Hahaha, Rock music was mainstream in 60s, Jazz music was mainstream in 30s, Hip-Hop is maisntream today...think about it, it´s not about the way mainstream sound these days, but will possibly sounds in future..what trends will come up etc....