Why shouldn't Metal be MainStream?

Fredy_Brown said:
Hahaha, Rock music was mainstream in 60s, Jazz music was mainstream in 30s, Hip-Hop is maisntream today...think about it, it´s not about the way mainstream sound these days, but will possibly sounds in future..what trends will come up etc....

Surely most metal is too un-pc to ever become mainstream.

The issue isn't whether or not people want bands to change so they can become mainstream, but whether or not people want Metal, as it is, to be the mainstream, as opposed to hip hop and pop.

No, I don't think that's the question, because there is already a big body of music that most mainstream fans consider "metal" that already exists comfortably alongside hip hop and pop.

The point is what sort of incarnation of metal is the one represented in the mainstream.

I used to ask myself (and people here) that same question a lot, but I kept getting the same results, so I leanred to deal with it... It is what it is, for now.

Black metal is supposed to be as kvlt as possible. That's why we call bands like Dimmu and Cradle faggots, because theyre gay as shit motherfuckers who sell out to MTV and hot topic and all those whiny bitch emo places.

High On Maiden said:
No, I don't think that's the question, because there is already a big body of music that most mainstream fans consider "metal" that already exists comfortably alongside hip hop and pop.

The point is what sort of incarnation of metal is the one represented in the mainstream.

Actually, that is the question, sorry.

SWAT said:
Children of Bodom and Arch Enemy already play on MTV.

Thats simply not true......:err: I also fail to see how either COB or AR are in anyway shape or form "poppy" i'll admit COB is moving towards the mainstream but isnt quite there yet....

Why the hell most of you want to stay metal underground genre? (and it´s not undrerground at all)

Varg Vikernes said:
Black metal is supposed to be as kvlt as possible. That's why we call bands like Dimmu and Cradle faggots, because theyre gay as shit motherfuckers who sell out to MTV and hot topic and all those whiny bitch emo places.
HAHAHAHA

Well the reason I'm apprehensive about metal becoming mainstream is that mainstream entails more then just it being accepted and listened to and appreciated by lots more people. That I would love. But it's not going to be the same music, it'll have the life sucked out of it and people who actually don't know anything will think they know everything and the culture of it will just suck horriblely. Not to mention Dimmu Borgir action figures... blah...

The stuff that this topic is really getting at is that idea that people like to keep "their" bands to themselves. This isn't really about whether or not you think Dimmu Borgir should have action figures, but whether or not you are willing to let go of the grasp of the idea that you have some kind of special group that you're involved with because only a few people listen to this particular band and you're able to "understand" it while others can't.

Do you want the metal we listen to, written essentially for the joy of doing it, to go back to 80's esque money grubbing "musicians" that need nothing more than to have a singer that can growl and a guitarist who can play chromatics? (My example is if our current music went mainstream) I don't. People who love what they do inherently do better work than those who do it for the money.

I love metal, I love mainstream and non mainstream metal.
I love everything from Disturbed to Finntroll to Sirenia to Necrophagist.
I honestly dont have problem with a band like COB or AH as long as they dont soften there lyrics.
Anyway metal is just to intelligent for it to be mainstream. Eg my school 500 people
People who listen to metal 2.5

Korn is about as mainstream as metal gets.... they used to be good whent they first came out. But i think they're working with gangster rappers or something now :yuk:

Dodens Grav said:
The stuff that this topic is really getting at is that idea that people like to keep "their" bands to themselves. This isn't really about whether or not you think Dimmu Borgir should have action figures, but whether or not you are willing to let go of the grasp of the idea that you have some kind of special group that you're involved with because only a few people listen to this particular band and you're able to "understand" it while others can't.

^

He's good. :)

JUNIOR6886 said:
Korn is about as mainstream as metal gets.... they used to be good whent they first came out. But i think they're working with gangster rappers or something now :yuk:
They work with them since Live Is Peachy dude ;)
TALITM:Nas - "Play Me" - track #8

FTR: Ice Cube - "Children Of The Korn" - track #17
Fred Durst z/Limp Bizkit- "All In The Family" - track #20
Tre Hardson z/Pharcyde - "Cameltosis" - track #24
Cheech Marin - "Earache My Eye" - track #26

LIP:Chino Moreno z/Deftones - "Wicked" - track #10