MAINSTREAM

Verbum Lux

Aug 7, 2011
www.last.fm
WARNING! THIS TOPIC CONTAINS POP AND MAY BE HAZARDOUS TO YOUR METAL CRED!

It's time to confess your sins against the Church of Metal. It doesn't come up here very often being that this is a metal forum, but pretty much everyone has some mainstream artists in their music library. Maybe you're a Belieber. Maybe you can recite the lyrics of every Maroon 5 song. Or perhaps you like to llisten to Lady Gaga while vacuuming the house in an evening gown. Whatever. Tell us all about it.

Me, I'm a big Taylor Swift fan. Yep, I'm a Swifty. A metal-loving Swifty. An over 30, male metal-loving Swifty. I'm sure you can imagine how lonely that is. Initially, I'd dismissed her as vapid - if catchy – teen fluff, and to be fair, she's made some songs like that. But one day I saw her album Fearless on sale for five bucks on Amazon, bought it on impulse, and was very pleasantly surprised. She has a certain quality – I'll call it “charm” for lack of a better word – that makes me love just about everything she does. Seriously, Taylor Swift could make a song called “Verbum Lux is the Worst Human Being on Earth and Should Be Dragged Into the Street and Shot” and I would probably declare it adorable.

I also like Adele quite a lot. She's more Soul / R&B than pop, but she's ridiculously popular and definitely falls under mainstream. I used to be into Amy Winehouse (R.I.P.). and while I think she was more unique and interesting, Adele is a better singer with better songs. “21” deserves the attention it got, if you ask me.

Okay, it's you guys' turn. Fess up.

I like it when it is done by Bliix:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SDFueR6414&list=UUF_nEpJuBPTN4ADeOhIpUEw&index=13[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU77QDe3M-A&list=UUF_nEpJuBPTN4ADeOhIpUEw&index=54[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgFzU8__5ag&feature=share&list=UUF_nEpJuBPTN4ADeOhIpUEw[/ame]

Or perhaps you like to llisten to Lady Gaga while vacuuming the house in an evening gown. Whatever. Tell us all about it.

Why does this sound really familiar?:erk:

I love older pop, I love 80s' pop hit singles, like Moonlight Shadow, Holdin' Out for a Hero, Maniac, Forever Young, Simply the Best, etc...those were some INCREDIBLE songs and they should be cherished forever more.

In comparison, (if you don't mind me saying so) Gaga sounds like absolute cuntrubbish. Beiber's stuff is bland and vapid.
But that's just naming two that are the most "out there" at the moment.

At the same time, there's that weird chick, Lana Del Rey, well she's just amazing. I like hearing Train on the radio while I drive, same goes with Adele and that Gotye song a while back. Yeah, there's some good pop to be found.

One thing I can't stand is Pitbull, and Flo-Rida, and the likes...
Not to sound racist, racial or racy but whenever I hear an RnB or rap song I fill up with disgust, it just doesn't work for me. I mean, you can't start every song with "yeah" or "ugh" and then proceed to talk about fellatio or drugs.
(Same goes with Nicky Minaj...)

I'm also a giant fan of the musical Chess, which most people haven't heard of (though everyone knows its main hit, One Night In Bangkok).

Wife likes Britney Spears and Miley Cyrus. To make my life easier, I have all the songs now memorized.

Also, Keane is "our" band...brit piano rock. Pretty good. Going to see them this month in ATLANTA!

So much to 'fes up to!

In alphabetical order:

ABBA, A-Ha, Amy Grant, Barry White, Bing Crosby, Black, Bon Jovi, Cole Porter, Demis Roussos, Eiffel 65, Elvis Presley, Europe, Frank Sinatra, Glenn Miller, Harem Scarem, Heart, Kylie Minogue (in very small doses), Nat King Cole, New Order, Oingo Boingo (featuring Danny Elfman), Roxette, Steve Taylor, Tom Jones, Weezer and piles of great classical music - but not Beethoven (sorry Matt Schrauben!).

I really am a metal head, but will anyone believe me now?

I really am a metal head, but will anyone believe me now?

Haha.

Honestly, I think it's a negative stereotype that metal fans are a bunch of elitists that listen to nothing but metal. Every metalhead I know has a very diverse taste in music, and threads like this pretty much prove that. Sure there are a few elitists out there on the internet that will never admit to liking anything else to appear 'trve' and 'kvlt', but most of them are about 15 years old too...

Music rules.

Don't lie, you know it's been stuck in your heads.

In all seriousness though, I like listening to some house or trance when I need to zone out while working or gaming.

I also like me some classic southern rock, skynyrd, Johnny Cash, CCR, etc. (even country on occasion.)

I like listening to film sound tracks as well.

EDIT: And don't forget Sinatra.

There's plenty of others, but that's what comes to mind at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
^
Yeah, I forgot to mention my cyclical love of Hardcore EDM, Hard NRG and Trance, not that you could call those "mainstream".

Edit:
I really enjoyed No Doubt for a while, despite Gwen Stefani's singing.

I just don't give modern mainstream much of a chance to impress me, although, Verbum Lux, I do like the look of Taylor Swift.

I've been a fan of Toto for years now. And just a few days ago I got the news that Steve Lukather will release a new solo album. At the moment, that's all I can dig up.