Are the Mainstream Bands hated among here?

Rommyali

Mar 21, 2010
O-TOWN
Im still a newbie here and wanted to know how you guys feel about the mainstream metal scene. IMO it kinda sucks but there are a few good songs. (even when i was in to rap i hated the mainstream and i still kinda do when it comes to rap)

So, my question is do you hate mainstream metal bands and what type of bands do you consider mainstream? Also do you see any talent whatsoever in them

Thanks

I'd try to mention mainstream bands as little as possible on here unless you want flamed. Before I joined these forums, I used to listen only to mainstream bands but I find myself listening to them less and less now. Don't let that put you off though. If you like a band because you enjoy their music then listen to them. It dosen't matter what other people think of them.

In these forums, anything that comes under the title of nu metal, metalcore or deathcore is usually considered mainstream.

Deathcore as a whole is definitely not mainstream, and you're fucking deluding yourself if you think it is. Some bands have achieved some popularity for whatever reason with mall kids, but that's more or less it.

When you say mainstream metal it's pretty ambiguous. Do you mean Metallica and Iron Maiden and other bands who can have clips of their stuff played in movies and people might recognize it?

Black Sabbath
Judas Priest
Mercyful Fate
King Diamond
Iron Maiden
Metallica
Megadeth
Slayer

...among others, are some of my favorite bands.

Dumb thread.

Exactly what he said. Except that I would make a distinction between bands such as Godsmack etc [though not really metal] whose music appears in commercial, mainstream events such as wrestling/movies/music vids etc and bands that have simply built a huge fan base [not through the aforementioned avenues] such as Iron Maiden and call the former mainstream. But this is largely due to my bias against that music as a lot of people shit on Maiden just for being famous [regardless of the fact that they have been growing redundant].

EDIT- Got ninja-ed . I meant @ WAIF.

Godsmack are AMAZING live actually, but I just saw them once in 2001.

I have no idea what is considered mainstream so I can't answer your question, but I like what I like and so should you.

I prefer a lot of modern mainstream bands (Trivium, Disturbed, Avenged Sevenfold, etc) to kvlt black or flower metal.

If by mainstream you mean nu metal and -core, then yes, that is pretty well hated around here. However, if you're talking about the classic metal bands like Judas Priest, no.

Well, I guess people will speak up about how much they hate whatever bands you mention.

As far as what bands are mainstream and what bands aren't... it's nothing but a spectrum. If you're young and you strictly listen to Top 40, and somebody mentions Pantera to you then you're going to think "Wow this guy listens to weird stuff, lol!" :D I mean, I don't think I've ever met another Burzum fan in my life, but Burzum must surely be one of the top 10 most popular black metal bands. Then you go a little deeper and you have bands like Ildjarn which a lot of Burzum fans have no idea about, but they're still extremely well-known among black metal fans (to the extent that they're mentioned on Encylopedia Dramatica). Then, further down the rabbit hole you have bands whose whole discography comprises 5 songs on MySpace and you'll probably find 50 people on this board who list them in their top 10 metal bands from August of 2004 or something.

It's all good. The music doesn't change, but how everybody will act about it solely depends on who you happen to be talking to.

I think it's pretty much 50/50. I'm part of the half that likes (some) mainstream metal. I've seen Slipknot twice for example, they put on a great show. However, their recordings are very hit and miss. I think between their 4 albums, they have enough good songs to fill just one.