The Metal Mainstream

Jesus christ, I'm not deciding this stuff. But look at the posters who've posted in this thread. Almost all north american. And all talking from personal experience. Which makes this a discussion of the american mainstream. And you're saying nightwish are mainstream, which they are in sweden but not in america.
I'm not deciding. I'm just pointing out.

Your entire idea of what this topic is about follows the same logic that any legitimate thread that gets spammed is logically a thread about spam, too.

Globally, Nightwish is an extremely popular and well-known band with tons of fans and album sales. This is an international board, so they're mainstream according to what this topic is actually about and not just what you perceive it's about because of the replies.

ok so there's different kinds of mainstream

1. true mainstream which includes all music
2. all metal mainstream
2a. USA metal mainstream
2b. Euro metal mainstream

Ok, Mainstream does not mean US mainstream and not European mainstream either. it means "let's try and list and talk about bands who will be played on you're every day show on the radio" - US folks list theirs and so do the europeans and that's how we get a picture of mainstream.

The way i see it, Slipknot in the US is Nightwish in Europe. i also hear alot of Lacuna Coil and Within Temptation everywhere i go in Europe and Slipknot not so liked at all. it seems in europe some have a touch to "gothic" music.

in the US, Nightwish are nobodies and slipknot are huge.

Yeah, that's it.

Earlier I was replying to the guys who were talking about AMERICAN mainstream metal. Nightwish could be as big as The Beatles in France. I wouldn't fucking know, & I'm in no position to doubt such a claim as I know nothing of it. In the US hardly anybody knows who Nightwish are, AT LEAST IN ORLANDO.

If this subject is only for North American posters, we also shouldn't talk about any bands from outside of North America in this thread either, since if we do, we're talking about international popularity.

WHAT? :loco:

Dude, you won't even tell us what country you're from :lol: I know it's a secret & shit. We're just talking about America. Nobody here from the US is doubting that Nightwish are the next Madonna in Sweeden.

Seriously folks, i don't the OP said anywhere that this is a American mainstream disscusion thread.

He didn't, hence why he called WeAreInFlames retarded for saying that it was.

Besides that, it doesn't matter where I'm from because people telling me that those bands aren't mainstream according to the definition this thread is talking about are wrong.

I'm not saying that it's explicitly for Americans, just that Blackmail's point earlier was made towards the whole world while everyone else's posts referred to their personal experience, which consists of observations made while living in North America.

I didn't word it perfectly, but you people don't need to freak out.

I'm not saying that it's explicitly for Americans, just that Blackmail's point earlier was made towards the whole world while everyone else's posts referred to their personal experience, which consists of observations made while living in North America.

I didn't word it perfectly, but you people don't need to freak out.

We still think you're retarded.

Andywiki for the save! :lol:

Seriously folks, i don't the OP said anywhere that this is a American mainstream disscusion thread.
Actually, the OP wasn't talking about mainstream metal at all. :erk:

WeAreInFlames: Your whole 'observations of north american posters' theory makes no fucking sense mate.

In which country do you guys believe metal is the most mainstream? I´d say Germany has a good position for that,it certainly isn´t in Nort America and certainly not in Sweden either despite what many would think. People think metal is huge in Sweden because of the multitude of metal bands,but the reason for that is that in difference to most other countries,almost everyone into metal in Sweden also play music themselves,which isn´t the case in Germany.

edit:Actually hip-hop is bigger than metal in Sweden and probably in Norway too.

It's important to realize that InFlames has a point. I've said it before as well. Bands like Sonata Arctica and Nightwish, while popular in their native countries and in Scandinavia, aren't as well-known in America. They definitely cannot be considered mainstream in America.

Regardless, it's retarded to speak of a global phenomenon in terms of regions given the context of the topic. Mainstream Metal bands should be determined globally. Nightwish is undeniably one of the biggest Metal bands in the world, and frankly, they still are one of the bigger Metal bands in the US as well. The mainstream of Metal is obviously relative to the genre as a whole, so Nightwish's stature as one of the biggest bands within the genre is pretty solid and painfully obvious ground for regarding them as part of the Metal mainstream.