The Metal Mainstream

Nightwish is huge :lol: they sell out like every show they played in and since they released their latest album they've toured here at least 5 seperate times and I think there's more to come

All of the bands I named in that post are extremely famous and popular internationally.

Maybe from the absolute lowest standards that the genre has to offer. They are very high on my hate list if you couldn't tell. :p

From what I've heard, they're at least tolerable but I admit I was mostly referring to their new material.

No, it's actually because Nightwish is really popular in a lot of countries outside of the United States, and mainstream doesn't strictly mean things popular in only one country.

You never told me what country you're from? They're no where near as popular as Slipknot. You can't base a metal band's popularity on things such as last.fm or whatever. Metal's popularity in the US relies solely on the internet these days. Of course there will be a lot of folks on metal stations listening to those bands.

I've seen both Nightwish & Opeth in Orlando Florida. Nightwish couldn't even sell out a small club downtown. Opeth were opening up for Megadeth & they didn't get anywhere near selling out at the Hard Rock Live.

Is this thread about mainstream music or what bands are popular exclusively in the United States? I'm pretty sure it's the former.

The country that I live in is totally irrelevant to discussion and does little to change the fact that Nightwish has album sames figures comparable to Slipknot's sales, and that the other bands I listed are also globally very popular, moreso in some cases than many of the other bands I mentioned as examples of very popular bands.

You never told me what country you're from? They're no where near as popular as Slipknot. You can't base a metal band's popularity on things such as last.fm or whatever. Metal's popularity in the US relies solely on the internet these days. Of course there will be a lot of folks on metal stations listening to those bands.

I've seen both Nightwish & Opeth in Orlando Florida. Nightwish couldn't even sell out a small club downtown. Opeth were opening up for Megadeth & they didn't get anywhere near selling out at the Hard Rock Live.

Just because they can't sell out shows in Orlando doesn't mean they don't sell out shows elsewhere or that they aren't popular on a larger scale

Yeah and in Sweden Nightwish play on the festival stage on SRF (same stage as Judas Priest, Europe, Whitesnake, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, etc.) while Slipknot opens for Slayer. Get a wider perspective dammit. This isn't US-only board.

No, it's actually because Nightwish is really popular in a lot of countries outside of the United States, and mainstream doesn't strictly mean things popular in only one country.
Well, you see, we've been talking about the American mainstream, so...

I'm a faggot who should gtfo
I agree.

Opeth have played the Fleet center as well (though not as headliners) and that's a big fucking place, so...
It really varies.
But I think for purposes of this thread we need to focus on one country since obviously there are major differences.
And in the US, Nightwish are nobodies and slipknot are huge.

Yes, I absolutely do. You'd have to be a fucking moron to think otherwise, frankly. It's a solid modern thrash album versus a piece of faggotry compiled when he was feeling angry about Metallica again.

Well, not quite. SHF's a good album. But seriously, it's whiny and the music's nowhere near as good as UA.

Well, you see, we've been talking about the American mainstream, so...

That's funny. I don't see anything about America in thread title or the subject of the original post in this thread.

I couldn't care less what you're talking about, this is an international board and this thread clearly wasn't made to talk exclusively about Americans and what's popular in America. I'm talking about the actual subject of the thread.

It didn't need to be said, because this discussion is pretty much all North American posters.
Besides which, it's not possible to discuss the entire world because metal albums might make it to number one in sweden but they don't do that here. Basically, cultural differences mean that there's no cohesive world-wide mainstream.

If this subject is only for North American posters, we also shouldn't talk about any bands from outside of North America in this thread either, since if we do, we're talking about international popularity.

Yes, I absolutely do. You'd have to be a fucking moron to think otherwise, frankly. It's a solid modern thrash album versus a piece of faggotry compiled when he was feeling angry about Metallica again.

Well, not quite. SHF's a good album. But seriously, it's whiny and the music's nowhere near as good as UA.

At least he didn't rehash riffs on TSHF. Seriously, UA was a huge step backward for MegaDave. That album isn't memorable at all

No. That's retarded. We're talking about those band's popularity in America.

Anyhow, I don't mean to be an asshole. I'm just saying, everyone's been talking from their experience, which is in north america, so this has essentially been a discussion of the north american mainstream.
In north america, slipknot are huge and nightwish are not. We all recognize this is not the case in Europe.

@OZZ: you're a fucking faggot and I'll prove it to you right now.

Except that the topic title and subject have nothing to do with North America exclusively. Couple that with the fact that many of the people on this site aren't from North America.

Stop being retarded and acting like you get to decide what's not relevant to threads when you don't know what you're talking about.