The Metal Mainstream

Btw, WAIF, I still wouldn't consider Opeth mainstream, considering only a few people like them outside the metal genre. They aren't as popular as bands like Dragonforce, Children of Bodom, etc.
I never saw Bodom as having much mainstream success, but I guess I just live in an area with relatively few faggots.

Nah, can't agree with Opeth. If I asked 9-10 people if they have ever heard an Opeth song the answer would be no. They are popular on these boards but they haven't made it huge yet.
They may not have heard a song, but they know the name.

Good to see I'm not the only one for once.

I nominate that post for cc's worst post ever. It was completely fucking retarded.

CC's posts don't usually bother me, but when he unleashes a twat statement like that i start to wonder.

I nominate that post for cc's worst post ever. It was completely fucking retarded.

Maybe everyone will start paying attention now because he says retarded shit like this all the time. The worst part being that he is probably serious too.

I dunno, I usually read his posts and agree with them. I would say that COokie's one of the better posters on here. But I'll keep an eye out for future retardation.

I'm pretty sure Nightwish are now considered mainstream as well as Within Temptation, Lacuna Coil etc.

lol there are far more retarded posts on this board than that CC one on a regular basis, that huge backlash was strange

I thought it was somewhat funny that the combined number of posts made by those who complained the most is like 50 000...yet I could probably count the good ones on 1 hand (if I actually needed my hand to count...).

It's mostly because CC isn't usually retarded, and that post was actually one of the most retarded I've seen in a while, not counting trolling.

I'm pretty sure Nightwish are now considered mainstream as well as Within Temptation, Lacuna Coil etc.
Not really...

Well, we're all going by our experience, I'd say no, not to my knowledge.
If you can do that thing with last fm or w/e that could settle this.

But really I meant lacuna coil and within temptation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightwish_discography#Charts

Check out their chart positions on this page and tell me they aren't an extremely popular band.

Metal bands mentioned in this thread on Last.fm:

Nightwish - 504,783 listeners
Cradle of Filth - 264,661 listeners
Opeth - 272,471 listeners
Dimmu Borgir - 227,324 listeners
Within Temptation - 329,779 listeners

Mainstream "metal" bands on Last.fm:

Slipknot - 528,203 listeners
Mudvayne - 272,196 listeners
Static-X - 299,444 listeners
Lamb of God - 216,165 listeners
Killswitch Engage - 299,147 listeners

You can also look up the chart positions for any of their albums and I'd wager that each band has consistently been in the charts with their last few albums and singles, so I can't see how they aren't mainstream.

That just proves that slipknot fans aren't smart enough to operate Last.fm.

Seriously, because there's no way they're as big as slipknot.

And seriously, wow. 84th on the US charts. They're gonna be the next Metallica.

No, it's actually because Nightwish is really popular in a lot of countries outside of the United States, and mainstream doesn't strictly mean things popular in only one country.