Are Kiss metal?

aha! said:
And KISS is just simple, repetitive rock with boring pentatonic guitar solos. You could probably say that about Black Sabbath as well, but Black Sabbath started the whole fucking idea of metal.

Good point. Black Sabbath began in a slightly earlier time frame than KISS started, and KISS do not cite any influences from Black Sabbath. KISS also have not majorly influenced any particular style of metal, but usually influence individual members of metal bands who grew with that era of music.

Kiss, like many rock bands, have heavy metal songs, but are not a metal band. There are certian songs in thier catalog that would definately qualify as metal, and one I'm surprise to see not mentioned in this debate is "God of Thunder". That song was 100% metal. Now this could lead to an entirely new argument/debate: if a rock band composes a heavy metal song, is that song by virtue "not metal", simply because non-metal musicians perform it? Or can a non-metal band write a metal song?

The answer is obvious for that, of course the song would be considered metal if it "compositionally" harkens to the style of the genre. I think the underlying argument is "How the fuck does Metal-Archives pick band A but not band B?"

Raffft said:
The answer is obvious for that, of course the song would be considered metal if it "compositionally" harkens to the style of the genre. I think the underlying argument is "How the fuck does Metal-Archives pick band A but not band B?"
its gay how metal-archs will not accept PRAYING MANTIS

i mean come on ffs CAPTURED CITAAAAAAAAY

KISS have always had some elements of Metal. Personally, I don't consider them a Metal band.....in the same genre as say Judas Priest. Nor have they ever come accross onstage as a Metal act.

KISS and Van Halen are two bands that have many of the same qualities: lavish stage productions, over-the-top lyrics and stage antics, and the "Big Rock" sound.....as Roth always called it.

But I don't consider them Metal. Other than the fact that they were dressing Metal and had the live Metal spectacle before any Metal band. And that includes Judas Priest.

Funny.....no one ever talks about that. When Priest were still wearing their satin and silks onstage.....looking like the Doobie Brothers, KISS were all decked out in leather and studs and chains. But no one ever gives them the *props* that they deserve. They're always being trashed for this, that, and the next thing.

Tens of millions of albums and concert tickets sold worldwide.....and hundreds of millions of dollars made later.....their place in history has already been decided!

kiss-colour87.jpg

classifying music is completely fucking useless. Usually things can be plopped into metal, but there's always a fine line - Rainbow, Motley Crue, KISS, earlyish Dream Theater, etc

More than anything I'd say that metal is an aesthetic, just as indie and emo are (how much does Dashboard Confessional have in common with Drive Like Jehu?), and thus KISS is probably metal.

According to iTunes, KISS is metal. So are Bon Jovi, Def Leppard and Aerosmith.

kiss and maiden are the reasons i started playing!metal? they have there moments but there just strate up rock n roll to me(and one of the best live shows on earth next to GWAR and maiden

10293847 said:
For that one user, stop putting shit in bold.

:lol: He has 52 posts, and it looks like to me every single one of them are in bold and include a picture at the bottom, and a good bit of them have some long romanticized "metal of days past" narrative.

Barking Pumpkin said:
:lol: He has 52 posts, and it looks like to me every single one of them are in bold and include a picture at the bottom, and a good bit of them have some long romanticized "metal of days past" narrative.

Sounds like someone(s) here already has/have their shit in a knot. Rest assured that The Winnipeg Warrior will take it under advisement.

I had this same problem over at JP.com. Oh well.....You'll Get Over it. I'm not going away!

steve-mcqueen-mugshot.jpg

The Winnipeg Warrior said:
Sounds like someone(s) here already has/have their shit in a knot. Rest assured that The Winnipeg Warrior will take it under advisement.

I don't have a problem with your posting. You use proper grammer, punctuation, which is something a whole lot of new people here can't seem to do. You seem to be an intelligent guy. I just think your posting style is kind of funny. :p

Barking Pumpkin said:
I don't have a problem with your posting. You use proper grammer, punctuation, which is something a whole lot of new people here can't seem to do. You seem to be an intelligent guy. I just think your posting style is kind of funny. :p

No worries, mate. All's good.

I just developed my own style over at Judas Priest.com and Halford's Q, and it's kind of followed me over here. With those black backgrounds that they use, it's hard to make out who's who. Actually, quite a few people over there use different fonts and colors to distinguish themselves that way. I'm 'Times New Roman' with a 'Gold Font'. So, it's not meant to offend anyone here. Old habits are hard to break, I guess.

Peace, everyone.

http://www.cfl.ca/
http://www.bluebombers.com/

gc-header.jpg

I just don't understand why you find it necessary to post a (usually) irrelevant picture with every post.