Classic Heavy Metal

AchrisK

Weakling
Jan 16, 2007
Arizona, USA
www.musicbuyingfreak.com
I often wonder where to talk about certain bands that don't seem to fall into any existing discussion categories.

So I am proposing this thread for the discussion of bands that are just straight up Heavy Metal.

EDIT: Also, I want to clarify that, to me, Heavy Metal does not include bands that some classify as metal, but are more properly hard rock. Band in this category, to me, would include AC/DC, Aerosmith, Kiss, and even a lot of what was called "glam metal" like Poison, Bon Jovi and that stuff.

CJSS are terrible.
My contribution to this thread.

I'm sorta confused about one thing. There's classic heavy metal like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, etc that's just heavy metal, or some people say trad metal. Then there's bands that are sort of a mix of hard rock and metal, but they're definitely metal; would you call them heavy metal? Because that would make "heavy metal" a default label for any band that doesn't fit into a subgenre, but the Priest/Maiden thing is a definite style, so should that be called trad metal and should this be called the trad metal thread, or are we gonna start labeling it "classic metal," or what?

Odin are releasing a "Best Of" CD.

My first exposure to Odin was a cassette that I got in the mid-late 80's called "Don't Take No For An Answer". It's a totally screamin' metal EP release with catchy songs, rad solos and some great vocals including some soaring highs. Some of the lyrics seem to lean towards spiritual topics, but I am pretty sure they were not a "Christian metal" band at all. This entire release will be included on the Best Of CD.

I think they are more famous for their appearance on the movie The Decline of the Western Civilization: The Metal Years. I saw that and they played some kinda song or whatever, but it was nothing like the DTNFaA EP. I haven't heard any other material from them. But I am gonna say that this Best Of CD is going to be worth the price for that EP alone.

CJSS are terrible.
My contribution to this thread.

I'm sorta confused about one thing. There's classic heavy metal like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, etc that's just heavy metal, or some people say trad metal. Then there's bands that are sort of a mix of hard rock and metal, but they're definitely metal; would you call them heavy metal? Because that would make "heavy metal" a default label for any band that doesn't fit into a subgenre, but the Priest/Maiden thing is a definite style, so should that be called trad metal and should this be called the trad metal thread, or are we gonna start labeling it "classic metal," or what?

Yeah, I am not sure. I would take no issue with this being renamed to Traditional Heavy Metal. I was just going to call it "Heavy Metal", but I thought that would be a bit ambiguous, even though technically I believe it would be correct. In the beginning it was all just METAL, and the general style that was played kinda defines what we might now call Traditional Heavy Metal.

I know Priest and Maiden get called NWOBHM, and I would not argue with that, but more broadly they are just heavy metal.

The first Europe album is * ALMOST* devoid of ballads and pomp. It's just very melodic traditional metal.

I honestly think The King Will Return, In the Future to Come and Seven Doors Hotel are great metal songs.

But yeah, people will get upset that I mentioned that band.

I really like the song Medieval Steel by the band of the same name, that's definitely Heavy Metal. No other genre would fit.

There was a Swedish band called Heavy Load and I managed to get their two albums; good stuff.

Cirith Ungol are great too, they don't get mentioned here much.

I might check out Wolf. Which is there best album?

What do people think of Firebrand Super Rock?

I know Priest and Maiden get called NWOBHM, and I would not argue with that, but more broadly they are just heavy metal.

Calling Priest NWOBHM is odd seeing as they pre-date it as far as I'm aware.

NWOBHM isn't a style, it's a movement. How does anyone rationalize putting Venom in the same musical category as Def Leppard? Most of the NWOBHM bands played a certain style, namely heavy metal.

I was referring to it as a movement. I was under the asumption it was 79 - 86 or something like that. Priest and Sabbath were ( I thought, Idk: wasn't born) the original wave of heavy metal.

The first Europe album is fully devoid of ballads and pomp. It's just very melodic traditional metal.

I honestly think The King Will Return, In the Future to Come and Seven Doors Hotel are great metal songs.

But yeah, people will get upset that I mentioned that band.

I've never heard their first album, but they are among those bands I would have dismissed as hard rock.

Cirith Ungol are great too, they don't get mentioned here much.

Totally great, and they do have some fans on this board. I have seen them mentioned.

I might check out Wolf. Which is there best album?

I just got their latest. Have yet to listen to it.

Calling Priest NWOBHM is odd seeing as they pre-date it as far as I'm aware.

Could be. I never really felt I was an expert on the whole NWOBHM thing. To me it was just metal.

I think this is pretty much metal. Just lite metal :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Heaven and Hell - The Devil You Know
I'm on track 3 right now, and this is bloody BRILLIANT!

Thedevilyouknow-Large_(Actual_Art_Work).jpg

Iommi still has it. :headbang:

Some of Europes songs are great, I love that they play Seven Doors Hotel live.

Sweden have a few unknown gems like Mercy, Gotham City and Maninnya Blade (ok the last one isn't that great, but it is cool that E-Type is doing drums on it :p).