Best books on metal

challenge_everything

Feb 9, 2006
great southern wasteland
I was browsing through Amazon trying to buy a decent and comprehensive book on metal and having not much luck. Anyone know anything good?

The broadest seems to be The Encyclopaedia of Heavy Metal but it hardly seems to be worthy of being called an encyclopaedia when it doesn't include Dark Tranquillity, Burzum, Suffocation, Cynic, Dream Theater, Blind Guardian etc yet it does include The Tea Party, Fu Manchu, Limp Bizkit and um, Bon Jovi.

I think there could be a market for a decent book on metal that covers the kind of bands known on this forum as well as the more mainstream stuff. Anyone want to help me write it? :loco:

On a side note, there is a new book on Amazon not reviewed yet called The Gospel of Filth: A Black Metal Bible which purports to be a dissection of the culture of black metal and Dani Filth is one of the authors (which kind of makes me biased against it, but he's a pretty literate guy at least so I would reserve my judgment). Anyone read it?

I seen the book Choosing Death at the bookstore and it featured DM bands such as Nile and Morbid Angel but it also had Slipknot in there, I never bought the book, just read it a little.

Choosing Death focuses heavily only on a handful of bands, and seems to be almost as much grind as death metal.

Anyone looking for good reading on metal should just check out fanzines. Lamentations of the Flame Princess is a good place to start. They have a forum here.

Do not buy the book " A Rough Guide to Heavy Metal". It covers most of the important bands across the genres, but it profiles way too many bands that shouldn't be there like Bush, Staind and Alien Ant Farm.

Do not buy the book " A Rough Guide to Heavy Metal". It covers most of the important bands across the genres, but it profiles way too many bands that shouldn't be there like Bush, Staind and Alien Ant Farm.

Yeh when I saw that there was bands like limp bizkit and linking park. I was realy pissed. And funny thing that it´s recomends metallica`s saint anger but not Master of puppets:erk: wtf this book is just peace of shit.

If true metalheads spent less time talking shit to each other on Internet forums one of them might actually use their writing skills to craft a decent book. Alas, the chances of that happening are approximately equal to Megadeth topping the Peace Sells album.

I'm familiar with a couple of books mentioned -- I never read them but I've come across them and after reading others' opinions on them and other "metal" books, I fucking wish idiots outside of metal would stop trying to tap into our world. What they know is only tip of the iceberg. There's a film based on Lord of Chaos? This only means trouble. The majority of people have no idea what BM is. Once this film is introduced to the mainstream, posers are going to come out of the woodwork and Christ knows how the scene will change. We all know the consequences. The definition of extreme metal in general will change and broaden to traditionally non-metal music. There should never be a link between the underground and mainstream music. Someone once asked me why I'm a metal elitist. Keeping metal pure; free of all the bullshit is one of the reasons.

I think there could be a market for a decent book on metal that covers the kind of bands known on this forum as well as the more mainstream stuff. Anyone want to help me write it? :loco:

I'd love to do something like this one day. There is definitely a market there, if not there will be soon - just look at all the books on second half 20th century pop culture. Plenty of people want to know about underground metal culture but don't want to use the internet. Also Metal - A Headbanger's Journey is doing pretty well. I think a comprehensive book covering the subject that is both entertaining and informative is a great idea.

If true metalheads spent less time talking shit to each other on Internet forums one of them might actually use their writing skills to craft a decent book. Alas, the chances of that happening are approximately equal to Megadeth topping the Peace Sells album.

So a decent book was already crafted back in 1990?

I seen the book Choosing Death at the bookstore and it featured DM bands such as Nile and Morbid Angel but it also had Slipknot in there, I never bought the book, just read it a little.
It's ok, but they miss out on a lot. And the book focuses too much on Napalm Death. They basically talk about the major bands, primarily Earache bands. It has some funny stuff in it, like members of Immolation, Morbid Angel, Nile, etc. saying that they love Slipknot and that Slipknot are death metal.