Best books on metal

Who said what in what interview whenever is irrelevant really (although I've seen several interviews with Geezer where he credits Sabbath with inventing metal via old horror films influencing their early tunes), what it comes down to is the music.

AC/DC's music is hard rock personified. There is nothing metal about any of their music, it is pure blues-based rock & roll.

Maiden & Sabbath on the other hand, are different. Listen to "Into the Void", Symptom of the Universe", and of course the song "Black Sabbath", and Maidens "Aces High", Number of the Beast" and so on. Sabbath's heavy chugging riffs and Maidens intricate guitar harmonies and galloped rhythms are undeniably metal, whereas AC/DC don't have those qualities in any of their music.

That is the beauty of Metal... it can get influences from a wide range of music to make it's own... if Metal wasn't so versatile it would all sound the same and that is why to me AC/DC is Metal.... it's a metalized version of chuck berry among others... Metal is much more then chugging riffs and such as you described.... songs like Hells Bells, Dirty Deeds etc. are very metal imo....

That is the beauty of Metal... it can get influences from a wide range of music to make it's own... if Metal wasn't so versatile it would all sound the same and that is why to me AC/DC is Metal.... it's a metalized version of chuck berry among others... Metal is much more then chugging riffs and such as you described.... songs like Hells Bells, Dirty Deeds etc. are very metal imo....

Of course metal is much more than chugging riffs, that was just an example. Metal music does have strong characteristics though, and AC/DC don't use any of them. I'll say it again; They are hard rock in its purest form. The fact that they're a band with loud guitars and high pitched vocals doesn't make them metal.

If you truly consider AC/DC to be metal then the genre of hard-rock apparently just ceased to exist. Because if any band is a hallmark hard-rock band then it's AC/DC.

It is pretty easy to hear that AC/DC's sound is firmly rooted in rock 'n roll and heavy (blues) rock and that it has practically nothing in common with metal of any generation (not even metal of its own generation, i.e. Black Sabbath). They undoubtedly influenced the metal genre and the early metal bands, just like Led Zeppelin did, but that doesn't make them metal themselves. If some people did refer to them as metal back then, then that was probably because at the time metal was still not an established genre. Now that it is, they clearly aren't part of it and never were. And they never claimed to be either (infact they claim the exact opposite, Angus never liked people calling AC/DC a heavy metal band).

Yes, if acdc is "metal" then wtf is Hard Rock.

Next they will be bringing up bullshit that anything with a "heavy" guitar tone is metal, eat piss and shit off.