Classic Heavy Metal

I think what I've heard sounds better than the bonus stuff on the mini-Dio best of by a ways, but I'm not going to buy it and rave over it simply because it's Heaven and Hell. There are a ton of albums including everyone in the band that I don't have and don't really care about. I especially don't care that it's doomier this time around, because I think H&H and 'Mob Rules' are the best of the lineup, and stuff such as 'Dehumanizer' is plodding and colorless, with the only charisma to carry it along being Dio's voice.

Okay, after further listening I think there may in fact be one good song on The Devil You Know, which is "Neverwhere". It's still a pretty borderline case, especially with Dio's singing dragging it down, but that main riff is pretty hot. I'm afraid none of these other turds have begun to sprout daisies, though.

If you're really that crazy about painfully-generic, melodically-offensive trad metal by a group of guys who have long since been drained creatively, then help yourself.

It definitely isn't a generic album. It doesn't attempt to copy their past works, and you'd probably have a hard time naming bands that are similar in style to that album, or albums like Headless Cross and Dehumanizer, despite your claims that both of those albums are sterile 80's heavy metal. I'm sorry if those albums offend your musical sensibilities by avoiding simplicity and emphasis on obvious melodic structures.

I don't care if you don't like it, so you can go back to listening to your AC/DC albums, which are clearly the very definition of intelligent, non-generic and varied musical output. Oh, wait... :lol:

It definitely isn't a generic album. It doesn't attempt to copy their past works, and you'd probably have a hard time naming bands that are similar in style to that album,

It's generic because breaks literally no ground whatsoever musically. I would in fact have a hard time naming similar bands for you because I don't normally listen to slightly-doomy, slick-production trad metal with high-pitched vocals, but I don't see how this is crucial to the issue. Take a moderately-distorted guitar playing average doom riffs with a touch of pentatonic scale here and there plus occasional soloing, a four-on-the-floor drummer with an echoey snare, and a power vocalist singing about demons, torture and Satan, and you have a run-of-the-mill Sabbath album.

Why don't you try naming some aspect of this music that can't be heard from a multitude of other bands (other than an obviously distinctive vocalist)? You'll have a much harder time doing that.

or albums like Headless Cross and Dehumanizer, despite your claims that both of those albums are sterile 80's heavy metal. I'm sorry if those albums offend your musical sensibilities by avoiding simplicity

Please point out any part of those two albums which you consider complex. I'd love to hear this.

and emphasis on obvious melodic structures.

I don't even know how to respond to this. You use the word "obvious" to describe pretty much every kind of melody which is catchy, so apparently you have no taste for what the majority of the world considers pleasing as far as melodies go. Perhaps you could help me understand what kinds of melodies are good in your view. All I've really gathered from you is that you hate everything catchy, so I can only guess that either you like melodies that are deliberately dissonant and random-sounding, or you just don't care at all what notes are coming out of the instruments. Feel free to enlighten me.

I don't care if you don't like it, so you can go back to listening to your AC/DC albums, which are clearly the very definition of intelligent, non-generic and varied musical output. Oh, wait... :lol:

OH MAN THAT WUZ A GOOD ONE

I know you're just trolling again with this comment, but if you wish to actually attempt to legitimise it, try naming some bands similar to AC/DC. Or maybe you could explain how they differ in any great way (other than tempo) from Motorhead, to whom your sarcastic description would apply equally well.

Why don't you try naming some aspect of this music that can't be heard from a multitude of other bands (other than an obviously distinctive vocalist)? You'll have a much harder time doing that.

Those albums are a further change of style for Black Sabbath, sporting traits both from the doom and gloom of their early days and the more upbeat, anthemic albums like Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules. I can't think of a single band to compare them to aside from Black Sabbath and offshoot bands featuring members of Black Sabbath, excepting bands that were probably influenced by Black Sabbath. Dehumanizer is also one of their most aggressive albums, which is a relative anomaly in their discography.

Rather than continually treading the same path like many other bands, they definitely underwent a greater stylistic evolution and retained more originality and sense of development than you're willing to admit. The newest album is roughly in the same vein as Dehumanizer, but I don't remember the band claiming that they were going to invent a new style of heavy metal or something. For the most part, they've consistently developed their musical style on nearly every album that they've put out. Most of the Ozzy albums are much closer in sound than the albums that they released without him.

Please point out any part of those two albums which you consider complex. I'd love to hear this.

Avoiding simplicity and being complex aren't the same thing. It's fairly obvious that the majority of the material on those albums is hardly more simplistic than just about anything else that they've released. Last time that I checked, Black Sabbath didn't write amazingly complex music. They didn't write simplistic music either. Those albums aren't as obviously melodic and catchy as their earlier music, with Iommi tending to favor a style that emphasizes the epic power of what you referred to yourself as distinctive vocalists.

I don't even know how to respond to this. You use the word "obvious" to describe pretty much every kind of melody which is catchy, so apparently you have no taste for what the majority of the world considers pleasing as far as melodies go. Perhaps you could help me understand what kinds of melodies are good in your view. All I've really gathered from you is that you hate everything catchy, so I can only guess that either you like melodies that are deliberately dissonant and random-sounding, or you just don't care at all what notes are coming out of the instruments. Feel free to enlighten me.

I don't hate music for being catchy. You frequently say put down music that myself and many other people here enjoy for supposedly lacking melodies, probably because their songs aren't as straightforward as you'd like them to be. Not only that, but obvious, straightforward melodies don't define how good a musical composition happens to be, although they seem to be a priority for you.

OH MAN THAT WUZ A GOOD ONE

I know you're just trolling again with this comment, but if you wish to actually attempt to legitimise it, try naming some bands similar to AC/DC. Or maybe you could explain how they differ in any great way (other than tempo) from Motorhead, to whom your sarcastic description would apply equally well.

I'm being completely serious, because you claimed that Sabbath made a bunch of generic albums that all sound the same. Besides, I don't really listen to Motörhead, so I'm not sure why I'm supposed to care. AC/DC's bluesy brand of foot-stompin', riff-driven, three-chord hard rock wasn't particularly original, unless you're unaware of the existence of The Rolling Stones and the many bands that followed them. They aren't a clone of The Stones, but they don't really do anything that you can't hear on their classic albums. I'd also have to say that The Stones were better and more varied in their approach and had a much more bearable vocalist in Mick Jagger.

I've heard a select few of the songs (Follow the Tears, Bible Black, Double the Pain, and Eating the Cannibals), and while they're fantastic songs, I have the complaint that they're mainly just engines for Dio's lyrics. Not a lot of variation in the song structures and whatnot.

Also, Vinny Appice is a SHITTY SHIT drummer, but I won't hold that against the album.

Still pretty good, and I'm still gonna buy it though.

Those albums are a further change of style for Black Sabbath, sporting traits both from the doom and gloom of their early days and the more upbeat, anthemic albums like Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules. I can't think of a single band to compare them to aside from Black Sabbath and offshoot bands featuring members of Black Sabbath, excepting bands that were probably influenced by Black Sabbath. Dehumanizer is also one of their most aggressive albums, which is a relative anomaly in their discography.

Rather than continually treading the same path like many other bands, they definitely underwent a greater stylistic evolution and retained more originality and sense of development than you're willing to admit. The newest album is roughly in the same vein as Dehumanizer, but I don't remember the band claiming that they were going to invent a new style of heavy metal or something. For the most part, they've consistently developed their musical style on nearly every album that they've put out. Most of the Ozzy albums are much closer in sound than the albums that they released without him.

That's a nice way of saying that they're basically reusing most to all of their previous ideas, though I didn't see you point out anything specifically unique about TDYK in relation to their other works. It really sounds to me just like where they left off with their general '90s formula (sans the aggression factor of Dehumanizer, maybe), with a little more doom thrown in, though not nearly enough to actually qualify as legitimate doom metal since the production is so clean and there's all this pentatonic blah everywhere.

Also, even though you may think the Ozzy albums are more 'samey' than the post-Ozzy ones, the fact is that their guitar-work, drum-work and lyrics were all much more clever on the Ozzy albums. There's a quality to them that just isn't heard on the later material, which is largely marked by repetitive uninflected power chords with minimal interwoven picking, along with static drumming and general over-slickness in sound.

Avoiding simplicity and being complex aren't the same thing. It's fairly obvious that the majority of the material on those albums is hardly more simplistic than just about anything else that they've released. Last time that I checked, Black Sabbath didn't write amazingly complex music. They didn't write simplistic music either. Those albums aren't as obviously melodic and catchy as their earlier music, with Iommi tending to favor a style that emphasizes the epic power of what you referred to yourself as distinctive vocalists.

See above. Black Sabbath are not a complex band, but they did become much more simplistic - and predictable - after the '70s. There's far less intricacy and progressiveness in their sound now. Seriously, when have they ever released an album in the '80s to '00s with as many twists and turns as in Sabotage or in songs like "Wheels of Confusion" and "Into the Void"? They just don't put that level of nuance in their music anymore. I really hope this isn't difficult for you to see.

I don't hate music for being catchy. You frequently say put down music that myself and many other people here enjoy for supposedly lacking melodies, probably because their songs aren't as straightforward as you'd like them to be. Not only that, but obvious, straightforward melodies don't define how good a musical composition happens to be, although they seem to be a priority for you.

I know I bitch about lack of catchiness in music a lot, and I do understand that catchiness is not always appropriate, but I certainly do not look for "straightforwardness" in music. I'm receptive to bands like Coil or the Swans (for lack of better examples in my brain at present) which are more subtle and texture-oriented in their melodic structures, but there are a lot of cases where I don't find anything being gained by the use of melodies that are dissonant or random-sounding. The Devil You Know is one of those cases. It really sounds like they are trying to be catchy, but simply failing due to lack of ideas.

I really don't get why you would consider this album "subtler" or "less obvious" because of these melodies. It's an incredibly straightforward album. This isn't friggin' experimental post-rock we're talking about here. It's Black Sabbath. They're reknowned for their classic riffs and guitar work. Catchiness is one of the central features (or aims) in nearly all of their discography. They've been this way forever, and TDYK does not express any clear change in musical direction as far as I can tell.

Considering how much emphasis they give on clear production, and the prominent place that the vocals and guitar have on the album, I don't see how they would be striving for much of anything other than catchiness. It really just boggles my mind that you would hold up THIS of all albums as a worthy example of subtle, textured, "non-obvious" music.

I'm being completely serious, because you claimed that Sabbath made a bunch of generic albums that all sound the same. Besides, I don't really listen to Motörhead, so I'm not sure why I'm supposed to care. AC/DC's bluesy brand of foot-stompin', riff-driven, three-chord hard rock wasn't particularly original, unless you're unaware of the existence of The Rolling Stones and the many bands that followed them. They aren't a clone of The Stones, but they don't really do anything that you can't hear on their classic albums. I'd also have to say that The Stones were better and more varied in their approach and had a much more bearable vocalist in Mick Jagger.

I'm tired of typing, so I'll let you have the final say here.

That's a nice way of saying that they're basically reusing most to all of their previous ideas, though I didn't see you point out anything specifically unique about TDYK in relation to their other works. It really sounds to me just like where they left off with their general '90s formula (sans the aggression factor of Dehumanizer, maybe), with a little more doom thrown in, though not nearly enough to actually qualify as legitimate doom metal since the production is so clean and there's all this pentatonic blah everywhere.

Like I said, it sounds like Dehumanizer. I think a band is fully allowed to sound like themselves, because it would be pretty weird if they didn't. It isn't a groundbreaking album, nor did anyone on this site claim that it was. It's still enjoyable if you ask me and apparently quite a few other people on this site, and it doesn't sound like any band aside from Dio-fronted Black Sabbath, which is fine to me. A band that sounds like themselves isn't really generic, even if you find their newest album to be boring and uninspired.

Their post-Ozzy works prior to Dehumanizer were all pretty different from each other, including various albums that were fronted by the same singers, while still sounding more like Black Sabbath albums than albums by any other band, with Seventh Star obviously being a major exception to that rule since it wasn't supposed to be a Black Sabbath album at all and doesn't sound like Black Sabbath because of it.

Besides, like I already pointed out, bands that release similar albums to their previous work shouldn't really bother you given other music that you apparently like.

a band that keeps rehashing something they've already done = should break up. having stylistic tropes is one thing, but just ripping yourself off is pointless as hell.

@ Omni:

It's not just that it isn't groundbreaking, but that there really isn't much about the album that sets them above the pack as far as today's metal goes. Their '70s material is incredibly distinctive; you'd never mistake it for the work of another band. In the '80s, they adopted many of the stylistics that were popular in NWOBHM and glam metal at the time, and basically 'joined the fold' in that everything from the guitar tone to the echoey production was a reflection of the popular metal bands of the day.

TDYK is no different - whatever 'signature sound' the band has left (I don't know what that would even be besides Dio's voice) is far overshadowed by the general stylistics of today's average metal band. This is what I mean when I call it generic.

At any rate, I'm not criticising the album just for being generic. What I mainly dislike about it is that it just sounds extraordinarily lazy and dumb, for reasons I pointed out above and in the 2009 Metal thread.

I saw Blitzkrieg and Tygers of Pan Tang this weekend at a local festival. They both played their sets very well.
Blitzkrieg played Trial By Fire from the Satan - Court in the Act as well as songs from their own brilliant A Time of Changes album and some more recent ones.

Tygers played new and old stuff extremely well, sadly the ride came early and wouldn't wait so I only caught 3 or 4 songs.

Ah, I remember that Heaven and Hell debate... 'twas a beauty. I still stand by all those points. :)

Where the hell did Omni go, btw?