Are musical sub-categories good or bad?

Mad Dog

Mar 3, 2003
Visit site
Okay, here’s a really difficult question for you and I know that we’ll never be able to put an end to this discussion. But still I’d be interested in what you think about this. I guess, everybody knows about the different categories for all the various styles in Metal which surfaced over the years. And every time when there’s a new band which seems not to fit in an existing category people open a new drawer and create a new label for it. Something which many people seem to dislike. Don’t you agree that a few of those categories are quite useful when you are searching for new stuff? I came across this topic while surfing and there was this discussion going on if Metallica were Thrash or not. I think, this is a perfect example as I myself would label most of these old bands like Metallica, Megadeth, Exodus, Testament, Over Kill, Anthrax, Sacred Reich or Nuclear Assault as Speed Metal. All of them surely have some elements of Thrash, but overall pure Thrash is more furious and violent. At least in my opinion. Bands I believe playing pure Thrash are e.g. Dark Angel, Kreator, Sepultura, Sodom, Destruction, Demolition Hammer or Exhorder. What do you think about this? Please tell me about your opinions as I’m really interested in this.

@Diluvial_bloodshed -

Like I said: that's just my opinion. Who am I to tell you how to call Testament's or Sepultura's style? I'm just interested in what you think about this. That's why I started this thread. It's as simple as that!
So you'd say that Testament IS Thrash, right? That's fine with me. Well, I guess, I should add some info for better understanding: I just know their first five albums from The Legacy to The Ritual. Maybe this explains a lot as I heard that Testament became much heavier in the 90s. By the way, how would you label Sepultura if not Thrash?

I use labes when i want to search for new bands... for example, I love the Melodic Death Metal or the Gothenmburg style, so, if i want some more MDM, i ask for it on my music store, web sites, and VOILA!!!... Thats how i found really cool bands like: Hollenthon, In Flames, Dimmu Borgir(i know its black), etc.

I think if the borders of each genre were clearer, it'd be better. People use all these different terms, but when asked to describe the differences between them, they don't have a clue. I agree with CONCLAVE OBSCURUM that sub-genres are useful when I'm trying to find new music.

I hate subgenres, but only because people get all pissy about them. They are useful but when I get into a heated argument because I called Dissection black metal, that's fucking dumb.

To me it's all death metal. If it has keyboards, it's black metal, the only subgenre I like to use. :D

Yeah, I agree with pretty much everything said above. Sub-genres are obviously useful when it comes to finding new music (since how much help would 'it's good' or 'it's bad' be in a review without a description of the style?), but as soon as people start becoming defensive over the boundaries between genres or those boundaries become blurred, forums like this become battlegrounds.

Once people get interested in a band, I reckon they should forget about that band's supposed 'place' in the metal scene - it doesn't matter anymore at that point.

Dunno whether that made any sense or not...

dill_the_devil said:
Yeah, I agree with pretty much everything said above. Sub-genres are obviously useful when it comes to finding new music (since how much help would 'it's good' or 'it's bad' be in a review without a description of the style?), but as soon as people start becoming defensive over the boundaries between genres or those boundaries become blurred, forums like this become battlegrounds.

Once people get interested in a band, I reckon they should forget about that band's supposed 'place' in the metal scene - it doesn't matter anymore at that point.

Dunno whether that made any sense or not...

I'm in complete agreement. :)

They are good for research reasons when trying to find new bands if you dont have a clue on how they sound if you cant sample em at your local music store. It is useful in that sense but it shouldnt be taken as "the golden rule." The boundaries are very sketchy and thats a good thing! It would be quite boring if you could perfectly place each band in an exact sub-genre. When people start taking it seriously and wasting energy arguing about it, I think is just plain ridiculous. There are a lot better things to debate than sketchy defined sub-genres.

Just bang your fuckin head, throw the horns up in the air \m/ , rawk the fuck out and be happy!