What happened to Thrash early 90's ?

Eh. I hate to admit he's kind of right. Death metal in the mid nineties is pretty underwhelming, minus a few gems like The Chasm's first few. Brutal death metal didn't really explode until the very end of the 90s though, when the rise of disgorge and "txdm" took hold.

Eh. I hate to admit he's kind of right. Death metal in the mid nineties is pretty underwhelming,

Err.. I'd say 2000+ but okay. Some of my favorites come from mid-90s. :)

Some of the best death metal was released in the early to mid 90's. Pierced From Within, Effigy of the Forgotten, The Erosion of Sanity, Blessed are the Sick, Covenant, Mental Funeral, Unquestionable Presence, Onward to Golgotha, Dawn of Possession, Here in After, Necroticism, the first two Vader albums, most of Bolt Throwers output and half of Death's discography just to name a few. Those times were without a doubt the golden age of death metal.

What happened between 93 and 94 though? I'm looking through full length death metal albums from the time frame and the quality of releases nosedives hard. Again, there's oddball great albums but as a whole it falls off hard.

Some of the best death metal was released in the early to mid 90's. Pierced From Within, Effigy of the Forgotten, The Erosion of Sanity, Blessed are the Sick, Covenant, Mental Funeral, Unquestionable Presence, Onward to Golgotha, Dawn of Possession, Here in After, Necroticism, the first two Vader albums, most of Bolt Throwers output and half of Death's discography just to name a few. Those times were without a doubt the golden age of death metal.

A lot of those are still from the 91-93 era, when thrash was still putting out new and interesting music as well. The big -tion bands obviously did significant/great stuff well into the mid/later 90's, but I wouldn't call Pierced from Within or Here in After OSDM.

A lot of those are still from the 91-93 era, when thrash was still putting out new and interesting music as well.

I know, I think I pointed that I out in my post, no? I also didn't mention anything about thrash or even touch on the main topic of this thread.

I wouldn't call Pierced from Within or Here in After OSDM.

Never said they were "OSDM". I don't even like using that term nowadays since most of the kiddos seem to think its some kind of sound rather than a group of bands/albums from a certain time .... fucking stupid.

I don't know who you were replying to then considering I clearly specified OSDM and implied early 90s, and since Krow semi-concurred regarding the mid-90s. And in the context I'm using it, OSDM is a sound, differentiating them from the more "brutal" blast-heavy sound and other divergent forms that have as much in common with your average 1991-era band as thrash does.

mario-facepalm-640x390_zpsd7326efd.png

What the fuck? Mario can't just give up. What is wrong with him? What happened to never stepping down from a fight?

It's too late. We've already seen Mario's moment of weakness. Back down once and all the work put in maintaining a stance of dominance is forever tarnished.

Some of the best thrash was in the early 90's. Forbidden, Heathen, Coroner, Death Angel, Kreator, to name a few......Death metal had a bit to do with the thrash decline, along with the big 4 trying something different. For commercial reasons (Metallica/Bob rock, remember)and thinking they needed to re-invent themselves, or ego (Dave Mustaine-"oh yeah, Lars? I can do that too!") Black Metal had a bit to do with Death Metal's lack of quality after '93. Thrash replaced NWOBHM, Death replaced thrash, Black Metal replaced death, each following genre took the intensity up a notch. When the dust settled in the early 2000s, what happened to me, was a great rebirth of ALL genres of metal. The Gothenberg movement-combining NWOBHM, Death, and prog rock. Black metal split into varying styles- Symphonic, Progressive, avant garde, etc. So many good Doom bands that also combined the history of rock/metal.

people change and want to.do.different things. So hence bands change, but it would you.need to look outside the same bands you mentioned in the original post. As a matter of fact don't ever count on any single band to maintain the same sound 100% of their career if they go more than one album.
I also think it's unfair to just say they change to make money, but it is a valid reason too unless you are happy working a day job plus being a musician you want to make a living doing your music and to do that you have to actually make.some.money...lol