Are Kiss metal?

Barking Pumpkin said:
It's certainly true but KISS touring with worthless (even to fans) new material playing songs that are 30+ years old on a "reunion" tour that has been going almost ten years.....that's pretty much strictly a money maker.

True. You know what the sadest thing is ? It works ! I am one of those guys buying their 117th best of album as a Delux version the day it comes out. I can´t help it. :worship:

Erik said:
well, judas priest clearly lost it after about 1978 and went totally commercial, and while they were still metal it just wasn't honest after that

well this is a whole other discussion altogether, but WHAT THE HELL! This very comment brings into doubt the whole issue of whether being "commercial" is therefore a bad thing, because I don't think anyone would deny that Priest's 80s output was overall KILLER.

The fact that you think it "wasn't honest" is therefore worthless, if it even has any foundation at all, because it doesn't seem to have reflected on the music.

In the same way, maybe the fact that Kiss have always been an openly 'commercial' band is by the by, and irrelevant to the discussion of their music.

High On Maiden said:
well this is a whole other discussion altogether, but WHAT THE HELL! This very comment brings into doubt the whole issue of whether being "commercial" is therefore a bad thing, because I don't think anyone would deny that Priest's 80s output was overall KILLER.

The fact that you think it "wasn't honest" is therefore worthless, if it even has any foundation at all, because it doesn't seem to have reflected on the music.

In the same way, maybe the fact that Kiss have always been an openly 'commercial' band is by the by, and irrelevant to the discussion of their music.

Looks like Erik needs to make better use of his sarcasm tags. :)

Cold Gin said:
True. You know what the sadest thing is ? It works ! I am one of those guys buying their 117th best of album as a Delux version the day it comes out. I can´t help it. :worship:

:) Yeah, and so what! With bands like Kiss, people can't expect them to be anyhting profoundly different, they just enjoy the music and the whole live experience. Everyone accepts they're not the "honest" musicians like other bands like Rainbow or Deep Purple, but I say again, it doesn't take away from my point that a lot of their music has a strong heavy metal undercurrent.

Barking Pumpkin said:
or do i? people have such a problem accepting that 80's and 90's priest was totally commercial almost all the way through. sure it was good at times and had plenty of influence on speed metal and whatnot but essentially albums like "british steel", "point of entry", "turbo", and "painkiller" were just intended to ride whatever wave of trendiness was "in" at the moment to try and cash in.

Barking Pumpkin said:
:p fine fine, if that was sarcasm, then I am more relieved. I guess I'm just a bit caught up in the frantic speed of this thread :)

edit: :lol: ok maybe it wasn't sarcasm! but whether he's right or not that it was commercial changes none of the fact that those albums ruled!

High On Maiden said:
:p fine fine, if that was sarcasm, then I am more relieved. I guess I'm just a bit caught up in the frantic speed of this thread :)

edit: :lol: ok maybe it wasn't sarcasm! but whether he's right or not that it was commercial changes none of the fact that those albums ruled!
painkiller is kind of a guilty pleasure because while it is a shameless, trend pandering attempt at cashing in on thrash and speed metal's popularity by introducing some of those elements into priest, most of the album fucking kicks ass, honest or not.

Erik said:
painkiller is kind of a guilty pleasure because while it is a shameless, trend pandering attempt at cashing in on thrash and speed metal's popularity by introducing some of those elements into priest, most of the album fucking kicks ass, honest or not.

Yeah, I'll agree with that. While you'd like to say that was a pioneering album, the time-frame just doesn't make it that way. I'd rather listen to it as a whole than any other Priest album though mostly.

Erik said:
The 'honesty' of Painkiller is not really the point here (although I would disagree), but the fact that you say it is a "guilty pleasure" is important, because Kiss for me are the same. I fully accept that they hardly personify an honest, un-commercial band, but nonetheless I listen to their MUSIC, enjoy it, and believe their MUSIC has a lot to do with classic heav metal in its sound - from song to song, of course.

I was simply accepting the point that they may be commercial or 'dishonest' if you prefer, but saying they are a "guilty pleasure" in that I still enjoy them. (in fact though, I don't feel 'guilty liking' them, hehe)

And then I was getting back to the point, that yes I enjoy them, but I also maintain my point that a lot of their material is barely distinguishable from other early heavy metal acts, regardless of how simplistic or rock-derived it may be. I don't see how you explain away all such occasions as "coincidence"!

Fine then.

KISS is not metal. At all. Of course, they may have inspired certain bands, but last time I checked, the black metal band Taake was influenced by the band "A-ha" (my user name is not a reference to that band btw). So I don't think influencing other bands, as you guys were talking about, has shit to do with it.

And KISS is just simple, repetitive rock with boring pentatonic guitar solos. You could probably say that about Black Sabbath as well, but Black Sabbath started the whole fucking idea of metal.

As for Priest, well, they are/were commercial, as you guys say, but there is no doubt that they are "metal" (and an excellent band). Judas Priest is one of the pioneers of heavy metal, so... I don't understand how they could NOT be metal.

Plus, albums like Screaming for Vengeance and Defenders of the Faith are some of the best heavy metal albums ever.

Judas Priest has a more metal element with the solos, drumming (later on, from Painkiller), the vocals, and some of the lyrics.