Who should guest on Opeth's next album?

Risquit

Sep 16, 2003
San Diego
Visit site
Who, if anybody, would you like to see guest on the new Opeth album?

The lineup has already expanded to include Per Wiberg and most likely Steven Wilson.

But who else?

I would like to see Gene Hoglan settle in on drums on a track.

And we've heard clean backing vocals, but how about another death vocal (i.e. John Gallagher of Dying Fetus or Karl Sanders of Nile)?

It's always my belief to have a band perform with only a few people so they can recreate their sound live. Per Wiberg and Steve Wilson, come on do they need anyone else? They're brilliant without guest artists, let's not soil them

Nuk3m said:
Per is cool and moshes more then any of them on stage, well in the gig i saw anyways and per does vocals so whyy would they need SW

Steve Wilson is a great producer that brings ideas to the band. Per plays keys and sings.

Daniel Gildenlow to take over all clean vocals!!! HAHAHAHA, I hope Mike doesnt read this. Im just kidding Mike, your clean vocals are brilliant for Opeth, but Daniel is my favorite all time vocalist, he has the best range, and one of the most dynamic voices in music.

ethereallights said:
Steve Wilson is a great producer that brings ideas to the band. Per plays keys and sings.
Per sings?? I'm not sure if you noticed but Per's 'singing' on Lamentations was awful, he sounded off key in a lot of places. No way should they let that guy do backing vox again.

I would love to see Nocturno Culto (Darkthrone) helping Mikael on some vocals. I think that would sound pretty cool. But I dont think that would ever happend.

ethereallights said:

Well i think thats a bit of an asumption, did u know that Per wrote Ending credits. And thats from mikaels mouth. So i guess it goes a bit fucking further then just playing and singer.

Per sounded fine to me, personally.

Anyway, if anybody... I'll be odd and say Rick Wright from Pink Floyd.

BTW, are you sure that Mikael wasn't kidding when he said Per wrote "Ending Credits"? He usually fools around during concerts. Plus, the core of the song is in the guitar, and the bass part is sorta complex. I wouldn't be surprised if Per wrote the mellotron parts... but the whole song? Hmmm.

koolboee cdmo87 said:
Per sounded fine to me, personally.

Anyway, if anybody... I'll be odd and say Rick Wright from Pink Floyd.

BTW, are you sure that Mikael wasn't kidding when he said Per wrote "Ending Credits"? He usually fools around during concerts. Plus, the core of the song is in the guitar, and the bass part is sorta complex. I wouldn't be surprised if Per wrote the mellotron parts... but the whole song? Hmmm.
Pardon? The core of the song is in the chord progressions, that much is quite obvious whether you're a guitarist or a keyboard player (mellotroner???). The bass isn't that complex, it's just working off the backing guitar, hence leading us back to the chord progressions.

Mikael may well have written the lead guitar parts, but Per would still have written the core of the song. Who knows, I mean he is a keyboard player after all, he could well have also written the lead part.