Who was Pink Floyd's Best Song Writer?

Who was the strongest writer?

• Total voters
I read Gilmour once saying that The final cut is basically Roger Waters best "solo" album and I agree with him. Rick wasn't on it at all and it wasn't the direction that either Gilmour or Mason wanted to go in. But it's still pretty damn solid and it is underrated, but not as much as Animals, that's criminally underrated.

I read Gilmour once saying that The final cut is basically Roger Waters best "solo" album and I agree with him. Rick wasn't on it at all and it wasn't the direction that either Gilmour or Mason wanted to go in. But it's still pretty damn solid and it is underrated, but not as much as Animals, that's criminally underrated.

so true. i dont understand why dsotm for example is considered so staple pink floyd when animals is just as good.

Animals is way better imo. Besides Time I find dsotm to be overrated.

Everybody here seems to love DSOTM and Animals, but I am the only one who loves Wish You Were Here? I mean is my #2 fav album of all time (Vangelis' Blade Runner soundtrack is the first one).:D

rogar waters is their best and worst. love his pre-the wall stuff. the wall and final cut are damn boring. but it doesnt matter ... between saucer and animals pretty much the best team in music ever ...

Everybody here seems to love DSOTM and Animals, but I am the only one who loves Wish You Were Here? I mean is my #2 fav album of all time (Vangelis' Blade Runner soundtrack is the first one).:D

Yes. I think Wish You Were Here is my favorite PF, because Gilmour just shines so much on this album, moreso than any album, I feel. At least, guitar wise. It seems to be the most guitar/riff driven album, at least in the Roger Waters period.

IMO floyd would not have worked without the input of both Roger, Dave and Rick as anything is in the end the sum of its parts. As I work in the NZ Pink Floyd Project I can tell you all as as fact that without the Keyboards Floyd simply can not work as so much rides on it. I play Daves parts but it is so based on what Rick was doing that you dont notice it untill you have to play "Money" or "Time" for example and see how much your feel for it is efected by the keys. Shine on is an obvious one but even here you can see how both rick and dave jam. In the floyd project we do the start of shine on as a free time'n and dont use a live click.. its really a freeing thing as you get to put your own mood to it as to how you feel on the night. Roger however is the master as far as ideas and lyrics go. But without dave to mellow him he can get very same same in his stuff and you get bland works such as the final cut that kind of feel like floyd but miss the mark as it is one side only of a force that only worked when at least two of the main three were on to it at the time.

IMO floyd would not have worked without the input of both Roger, Dave and Rick as anything is in the end the sum of its parts. As I work in the NZ Pink Floyd Project I can tell you all as as fact that without the Keyboards Floyd simply can not work as so much rides on it. I play Daves parts but it is so based on what Rick was doing that you dont notice it untill you have to play "Money" or "Time" for example and see how much your feel for it is efected by the keys. Shine on is an obvious one but even here you can see how both rick and dave jam. In the floyd project we do the start of shine on as a free time'n and dont use a live click.. its really a freeing thing as you get to put your own mood to it as to how you feel on the night. Roger however is the master as far as ideas and lyrics go. But without dave to mellow him he can get very same same in his stuff and you get bland works such as the final cut that kind of feel like floyd but miss the mark as it is one side only of a force that only worked when at least two of the main three were on to it at the time.

Great post, and great points about Rick, who really doesn't get nearly enough credit for the importance of his contribution to Floyd's material and overall sound (not to mention vocals!). Nice job!

I also agree about the Rick Wright comments. Two of my favorite Floyd tunes are Paint Box and Summer '68, which are both Wright penned.

Syd Barrett without question...I am surprised he has barely been mentioned. Piper at the Gates of Dawn is by far the best album of the late '60s psychedelic movement and quite possibly the best album in the bands career. He just had a natural touch to songwriting that both Roger and Dave didnt quite seem to have. Sure, they were fantastic songwriters as well, but even they will admit to it, which is made apparant on the 'Syd Barrett story' documentary. There was just this magical feel to his songs that I can't really describe and I can certainly say that few could ever match.