whoever invented hiccups should be dragged out into the street and shot

What a time I picked to go to lunch.

Potato talk.

OBVIOUSLY, mashed rules. Especially garlic cheddar mashed potatoes. I feel a recipe coming on...

Christine_Cushing_Live_005.jpg

Recipe courtesy of Christine Chamberlain, Executive Chef President’s Choice

White Cheddar Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Yield:8

Ingredients:
12 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut in chunks
1 head garlic, cloves, peeled, left whole
3 tbsp unsalted butter
1 cup low-fat sour cream
1/2 cup 35% cream
3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp. white cheddar cheese
1/2 cup diced cooked bacon
1/4 cup chopped green onion
salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:
Place the potatoes and garlic cloves in a large pot of salted water. Bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are fork tender. Drain the potatoes.

Mash both the potatoes and garlic together. While still warm mix in butter, sour cream, 35% cream, cheese, bacon and green onions. Season with salt and pepper.

This dish can be prepared in advance. Spread potatoes into a baking dish and refrigerate until needed. Cover and reheat in a 325 degree F. oven for 20 to 25 minutes.

tid1_11_01_2002.jpg

Choose large, unblemished pomegranates and go for weight - heavy means juicy. As for cooking with them, there are a few things you should know. You can eat the seeds or spit them out. It's your choice. The skin is tough, the pulp surrounding the seeds is quite thick and the sometimes the juice can stain your hands flaming red. Try testing them out in a Duck Breast Salad With Pomegranate And Vanilla Poached Quince, Stuffed Roasted Poblano With Walnut Sauce And Pomegranates or make a Pomegranate Vinaigrette With Pita, Pecan And Lettuce Salad. Anyway you have them, eaten plain or strained into a sauce, these tiny seeds are sure to add a unique flavour to your winter meals. The pomegranate pay off is pure pleasure.

DEEP FRIED SMELT

1 c. flour
1 egg
1/4 c. vegetable oil
1 tsp. baking powder
1 c. milk
1/4 c. beer (ignore foam)

Mix above ingredients. Heat fat to 375 degrees in deep fryer. Coat smelt with flour, then dip into batter to coat completely. Deep fry for 3 minutes or until golden brown. Can use other meats or vegetables.

I don't know why they print directions for each- it's not like there's anything else you can do when making mashed potatoes.

3 Types Of Mashed Potatoes
Yield:4

Garlic Mashed Potatoes
3 white potatoes, cooked or 3 yellow potatoes, cooked
1/4 cup cream
2 tbsp butter
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 cloves minced garlic

Mash the potatoes a bit with a fork or a potato masher. Stir in the remaining ingredients and mash until smooth. Serve immediately.

Parsley And Green Onion Mashed Potatoes
1/4 cup cream
2 tbsp butter
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 cup chopped parsley
2 chopped green onions

Mash the potatoes a bit with a fork or a potato masher. Stir in the remaining ingredients and mash until smooth. Serve immediately.

Cheese Mashed Potatoes
1/4 cup cream
2 tbsp butter
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 cup Roquefort cheese, crumbled, (or any kind of blue cheese) or 1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese

Mash the potatoes a bit with a fork or a potato masher. Leave out the butter when mashing the potatoes.
Stir in the remaining ingredients and mash until smooth. Serve immediately.

Deep Fried Cheese Curds

Ingredients

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup milk
1 pound cheese curds
1 quart oil for frying

Directions
1 In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir in the eggs and milk. Mix until smooth. Add more milk for a thinner batter. Coat the cheese curds with the batter.
2 Heat the oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat. Fry the coated cheese curds approximately 1 minute each, until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.

And just to tie this Garfield Christmas thing in even further:
that 'ey kids' thread reminds me of the way the Dad on the Garfield special read the story of Binky te Clown saving Christmas-
agarfieldchristmas9.jpg

"HEEEEEEEYYYYYY KIIIIIIIIDDDS!!!!"
agarfieldchristmas8.jpg

agarfieldchristmaslogo.jpg

I have about 25 more beers to drink in the next few days. Not to mention, my local bevmo said they were getting a new alaskan winter beer shipment today.