who's heard of Sufjan Stevens?

IanDork107

I wrote a book! Buy it!
Sep 9, 2002
Not here.
This guy is pretty fucking amazing. I just got his latest album, Greetings from Michigan: The Great Lake State, and it has quickly made its way onto my top ten list for the year, getting closer and closer to the top with every listen. It's some sort of mix between chamber pop, indie, progressive folk, and other things that I can't think of names for. It's impressive enough that the guy made a 65 minute album that's solid throughout, but the fact that he plays just about every instrument on it makes it even greater.

Damn....Ian, I'm pretty sure I reccomended this to you (or to someone at the hub) at least three times...and you never fucking replied.

I think I've mentioned Sufjan Stevens in a couple of threads in the Off-Topic Forum, but no one listens to me, ever...so you gotta spread the good word.

This is the first Sufjan album I've heard and it really blew me away...it's by far one of the better releases of this year...kinda reminds me of Iron & Wine.

Anyway, it's great music and you should all give it a try.

Irrelevance of the day: Check out Blandbladen- I grevens Tid. Another fine release of 2003, very reminiscent of Ozric Tentacles only slightly more mellow and more 70's sounding. You'll like it!

Another great discovery is: Magnet - On Your Side. The song The Day We Left Town is possibly one of the best I've heard this year.

ian you shoulda told me. I would've sent you my copy of Magnet, too. There's a TON of solid singer/songwriter stuff coming from Norway/Scandinavia right now. It's outrageous. Check out Uncle's Institution.