Why am I not getting stereo output here?

Robert W

May 13, 2009
STEREO.png

Am using a PreSonus AudioBox into RiffWorks, but can't seem to get a stereo signal.

What can I check for to fix this?

Ran the AudiBox through Reaper and it was sending a stereo signal there, so I'm a little confused as to what's going on here.

Ahhh. This reminds me of two years ago when I first got my Audiobox =)

You'll never get a stereo signal with an Audiobox input. Each of the two channels is mono only (unless you combine them.). That's true for any interface out there, or any regular microphone source for that matter. I remember this used to confuse me when I first started out.

Maybe Reaper was making a "stereo" track that was actually just mono with the same thing on each side.

Ahhh. This reminds me of two years ago when I first got my Audiobox =)

You'll never get a stereo signal with an Audiobox input. Each of the two channels is mono only (unless you combine them.). That's true for any interface out there, or any regular microphone source for that matter. I remember this used to confuse me when I first started out.

Maybe Reaper was making a "stereo" track that was actually just mono with the same thing on each side.

I finally figured it out through some old fashioned trial and error. I set the output to "in 2" and that fixed it.

And yes, what I thought was the stereo signal on Reaper was, in fact a doubled mono track.

But now I'm kind of curious about something. I'm using LeCab, so how is Reaper going to be handling that? I'd set LeCab to both "stereo" and "individual", but, since I'm olny sending a mono signal, wouldn't both "cabs" end up being blended in each channel? And if so, should I then set LeCab to mono instead?

I feel a tech related n00b headache coming on....:loco:

I finally figured it out through some old fashioned trial and error. I set the output to "in 2" and that fixed it.

And yes, what I thought was the stereo signal on Reaper was, in fact a doubled mono track.

But now I'm kind of curious about something. I'm using LeCab, so how is Reaper going to be handling that? I'd set LeCab to both "stereo" and "individual", but, since I'm olny sending a mono signal, wouldn't both "cabs" end up being blended in each channel? And if so, should I then set LeCab to mono instead?

I feel a tech related n00b headache coming on....:loco:

If you´re using LeCab on a mono source you should use a mono instance, unless you want to use two different impuses and pan them. By the way, stereo LeCab never worked for me. When I send two different hardpanned mono sources to a stereo group with a stereo LeCab, it always just makes the same blended output to both channels. That´s the single reason why I use KeFir (the stereo works fine).

If you´re using LeCab on a mono source you should use a mono instance, unless you want to use two different impuses and pan them. By the way, stereo LeCab never worked for me. When I send two different hardpanned mono sources to a stereo group with a stereo LeCab, it always just makes the same blended output to both channels. That´s the single reason why I use KeFir (the stereo works fine).

I'll DL KeFir then and try it side by side w/ LeCab as see how that sounds.