Why can't I play along with Testament?

I think they tune lower now..compare First Strike Still Deadly cd..with the originals versions??? also I think even maybe those albums might be tuned to E flat..not the standard 440 ..I haven't played along to a Testament song for so long... with my guitar..but that could be it..

SO if you are playing it how they do on video/dvd..it's gonna sound different cos you are tuned higher than them...

On the Gathering, they used Db or C#, however you wanna call it, if I'm not mistaken. As for their older stuff, it's quite possible they used Eb, but tuned the frequency down to 435. Old Machine Head albums were like this, which is difficult to get the right intonation if you don't know all the info.

My advice is just to try different tunings, and if that still doesn't work, then try at 435 instead of 440. I think Testament typically tuned a half a step down, though, whether they were in D or E...except for Demonic, which most of them were dropped tunings. Blech...I hate drop tunings.

The new order was recorded on tape back in the day. They use to use a trick where they would record something, then slow the tape down, which would bring the tuning down 1/4 step. Pantera use to do this too (as with many other bands).
If you try play the first chord of The Preacher with the original CD it doesnt sound right in either standard or Eb tuning due to this tape "trick".

Skolnik, like many great guitarists sometimes uses what is known as drop-D tuning. Lower the 6th string (E) down to D and try it. If you don't believe me, google drop-D tuning. Good luck and don't listen to the ass-bags giving you a hard time.

Skolnik, like many great guitarists sometimes uses what is known as drop-D tuning. Lower the 6th string (E) down to D and try it. If you don't believe me, google drop-D tuning. Good luck and don't listen to the ass-bags giving you a hard time.

.... I would know if it was in Drop D

i dont know if you have tried this, but you could tune your guitar to standard E and tune the 6th string just a little bit higher so that it sounds very clean when you play power chords.

The only thing I can say to you man is this: I play bass and guitar. When I play anyone of them Tuned in Standard tuning sounds equally than the records. I played with the Cd's, vinyls, old tapes and ALWAYS sound =.

if you play the videos from your computer maybe the sound manager is configured in -1 or +1 (1/2 step down or up) or something like that.

or your guitar sucks.

Some CD players (and tape players for that matter) play at varying speeds. You really won't notice it while listening...but if you are playing with the correct tuning, this is where you'll definately notice it. :cool: