Why demos/unsigned bands/small label bands should be reviewed

Cheiron

Jan 11, 2006
A lot of metal writers out there get into it because they love metal.... ah forget it just read Scum.

My simple point here is this. Labels and distribution companies care about reviews. Its part of what they can use to deside if they want to sign the band/distribute the album/put it on shelves, etc. So if you are the type of writer that wants to really -help- bands, then do it with the ones who need the help. Write about the small bands, the unsigned bands, the demos. This will help the scene more than writing about the latest Roadrunner release. Not say so you shouldn't write those reviews too (heck last year most of my reviews were small label.... I think. Most of the bands I get are small. But I'm slow as hell to write reviews, because I hate talking bad about bands/artists, and most of the music I get is bad.).

But yeah. If you really care about the scene, and really want good music in the scene, you might not persuade anybody to listen to some big label's release, but you might help to persuade a label to sign a good band.

Music should be reviewed because of what it is and on its own merits and shortcomings, not as some sort of business lubricant.

The Shameless came together the way it did because at this point I believe that record labels contribute absolutely NOTHING to music and their sole purpose is to make absolutely every single person exposed to music LAZY and dependent on them.

I mean, the labels that I like and to some degree actually believe in are the ones that can't really offer a band much, up until they figure out "the business" and destroy all their credibility by doing unforgiveable shit by signing Lordi.

I would like to think that every unsigned band that received a positive review in The Shameless will forever remain unsigned. I'd also like to think that every signed band positively reviewed in The Shameless will have their record label go bankrupt tomorrow. I also would like to think that every band negatively reviewed would get signed to Roadrunner or Nuclear Blast or something.

First. People should be rewarded for their art. If you like a band, writing a good review can help them be rewarded. If your purpose of writing reviews is to hopefully expose great music to the world, and sway people from the shit, you are more likely to achieve your goal if you include the reviews of demos, unsigned bands, etc. But yes. Your review should be done on the quality of the music.

Second. On Labels.

As I indicated in a past post. I'm starting a small label (I promise you that bands will not get fucked over from only getting 10% of sales, and having to use that 10% to pay the full recoverable costs). I can see your problem with labels. But consider my point of view. A lot of bands out there cannot get the initial funding to do a quality album recording. Labels can help there. As for advertising. Are labels needed? Not necessarily. Word of mouth about a band can win out against anything a label PR person comes up with. Labels do however, help with distribution. They can help the band figure out ways to get word about their album out. They can help bands to be able to play live.

The problem isn't with the basic idea of a label. Its with labels that have a policy of "I want to get paid for not doing very much work." Most labels have the very intent of screwing over bands as soon as they sign them. Most labels want to own the artists. They want to own the content. Basically, many bands are 'contractors' that produce work for a label.

Not all labels do this. Many labels are there to help out the bands, and to hopefully make a profit that is either fair to the amount of work they did, or allows them to continue or further support artists. I hope to allow artists to be artists.

So you can hope that I go bankrupt. Which is fine. I hope that the bands I am able to find/sign (if I'm able to sign. Its not easy to get your first band that believes in you), get enough success to continue producing art. But I also won't sign a band that I feel is making music that they don't truly believe in. If they are writing/playing music for the intent of commercial success... I'm not interested.