Why do a lot of people like Leaving Your Body Map better than Bath?

Kushantaiidan

SPASIBA AX.
Both the Maudlin of the Well albums are great, but I seem to like Bath more. It was the more easier album to get into, and the songs on the CD seem very memerable, complex, and flowing, and I can listen to the CD over and over again. But Leaving Your Body Map seems more complex and almost disjointed, with a very strange feel. I found it hard to get inot, and I still don't seem to be getting into the album, and I am starting to tire of some of the songs.

I was just wondering, which CD did you like better, although they are a single peice of work.

If you like Leaving You Body Map, Why exactly?

And what about the Secret Track, have you listened to it? What was it like? I'm downloading it right now.

Also, where might I find the lyrics to these albums?

Okay Bumbleboy, follow these easy steps:

First song you listen to:

Birth Pains of Astral Projection

Then you listen to these songs:

Girl With A Watering Can
Heaven And Weak

Then you proceed to get all their albums, in CD or mp3 format, and listen to all their work in one go.

And then you are cooking with gas.

(Well, that is how I did it. Birth Pains Of Astral Projections is the perfect song to sample them. =)

Bumblefoot:

If you go to the dark symphonies site, you can pick up a "definitive Maudlin set" for 20$, free shipping for those in US and Canada. The set includes Bath/LYBM, a poster and a sticker (and bunch of postcards of various bands). Or go to the mp3 site for more samples.

I recently got both albums, and the lyrics and the booklet really do intensify the music. Byron is a great lyricist. Somehow one begins to crave the lyrics (the songs take on a new dimension when you listen while reading the lyrics) after a while and apparently the double album is a concept album - I should examine the lyrics sometime to determine of what.

I really love all three albums. And a week ago I was more into Bath, but the lyrics on Body Map are more intriguing, and I didn't realize before, but "Riseth He, the Numberless" is actually a two part song (tracks 7 and 8 on the album).

It's not too technical at all, but it's very emotional and atmospheric. It's death metal with pop and jazz sensibilities (as opposed to 70's rock sensibilities).

The major thing I don't like about MotW is the fact that the guys are apparently into new-age astral shit - not that this is present in the music.

I recommend downloading "The Curve that to an Angle Turn'd" (aka the Garden Song) off the mp3 site. The 7 min mark or so, when the guitars rip in, is awesome.

Originally posted by Kushantaiidan

If you like Leaving You Body Map, Why exactly?

Also, where might I find the lyrics to these albums?

How can you not like Gleam in Ranks? "In the war of red and gold, Our hero was Gold!"?

The "interludes" are better on LYBM too. The first on in LYBM is a beauty, and the second -- where else can you feel like it's Christmas while listening to metal?

Other things:

how can you not like the sinister horns that rush in Stones of October Sobbing? ("Seasons that kill years!!..") or the Curve that to angle turned, its Serenity Painted Death-like beginning, the soft interlude "Please kiss me/ kiss away the cuts you've torn", and the climatic conclusion?

How can you not like, or love, "MOnstrously Low tide" the gritty beginning, the background chorus "And I will always look thereon, I will always with love look thereon", and how the last verses fall in sync at the end before beginning the "outro" of the album, which as the song title suggests is like a primordial "sea"- it sounds like a beach, beautiful.

I've really come to like motW lately. Again, I just don't like the fact that Toby and Byron are into that new-age shit in their personal lives, but that's my peeve.

Originally posted by E V I L
Bumblefoot:

If you go to the dark symphonies site, you can pick up a "definitive Maudlin set" for 20$, free shipping for those in US and Canada. The set includes Bath/LYBM, a poster and a sticker (and bunch of postcards of various bands). Or go to the mp3 site for more samples.

I recently got both albums, and the lyrics and the booklet really do intensify the music. Byron is a great lyricist. Somehow one begins to crave the lyrics (the songs take on a new dimension when you listen while reading the lyrics) after a while and apparently the double album is a concept album - I should examine the lyrics sometime to determine of what.

I really love all three albums. And a week ago I was more into Bath, but the lyrics on Body Map are more intriguing, and I didn't realize before, but "Riseth He, the Numberless" is actually a two part song (tracks 7 and 8 on the album).

It's not too technical at all, but it's very emotional and atmospheric. It's death metal with pop and jazz sensibilities (as opposed to 70's rock sensibilities).

The major thing I don't like about MotW is the fact that the guys are apparently into new-age astral shit - not that this is present in the music.

I recommend downloading "The Curve that to an Angle Turn'd" (aka the Garden Song) off the mp3 site. The 7 min mark or so, when the guitars rip in, is awesome.

Cool Man. I'll order it soon to get the lyrics/artwork.

Bumblefoot:

You are confusing me..

How is Riseth thee numberless two tracks? Are the two tracks seperated by the quiet screaming? I thought the next track was interlude 4??? The only interlude with distorted guitars and vocals. Or maybe it isn't the interlude.

You see. I got the mp3's, becuase I can not afford to get the albums imported here.

How can you not like Gleam in Ranks? "In the war of red and gold, Our hero was Gold!"?

The "interludes" are better on LYBM too. The first on in LYBM is a beauty, and the second -- where else can you feel like it's Christmas while listening to metal?

Other things:

how can you not like the sinister horns that rush in Stones of October Sobbing? ("Seasons that kill years!!..") or the Curve that to angle turned, its Serenity Painted Death-like beginning, the soft interlude "Please kiss me/ kiss away the cuts you've torn", and the climatic conclusion?

How can you not like, or love, "MOnstrously Low tide" the gritty beginning, the background chorus "And I will always look thereon, I will always with love look thereon", and how the last verses fall in sync at the end before beginning the "outro" of the album, which as the song title suggests is like a primordial "sea"- it sounds like a beach, beautiful.

I've really come to like motW lately. Again, I just don't like the fact that Toby and Byron are into that new-age shit in their personal lives, but that's my peeve.

I DO like body map, I just like bath better.

and... more confusion... interlude isn't the jingle bells song.. monstrously low tide is the jingle bells song.. is it not?????

Curve is a good song. I found the strange riffs on body map really hard to grasp compared to bath.

Sleep is a curse is an amazing song.

And Monstruosly Low tide is the outro, with NO vocals?

what?? the?? huh?

I look forward to more stuff from these guys. They easily made it into my top 5 bands of ALL time with Opeth, X-Japan, Yes and emperor.

please fix me up though. i confused. and I hope I'm not listening to the sogns in the wrong order, or even worse, Im might be missing some..

I keep promising to throw up a geocities site with MotW lyrics, but I haven't gotten round to it. Maybe tonight...

Byron isn't into the New Age stuff like Tobias. He's more Crowleyan....if you ever get to see them live, check out the big THALAMOS egyptian tattoo on his shoulder. And I think that most of the rest of the band aren't as spacey as Tobias, and use the "new age stuff" like dreaming and astrality purely to create moods and deep structures in their music...if they don't reject it out-of-hand.

Re: Byron's lyrics. Yes! Some of them are genuinely as good as anything Marvell or even maybe Shelley has ever done. Listening to the albums while reading the lyrics is a totally different experience.

Re: Track lists. I have LYBM right here, so I'll throw it in and figure it out.
Riseth He, the Numberless is in two parts, which I didn't understand at first. Josh Seipp-Williams, one of the guitarists, alluded that it was purposely split into two tracks to make a point about the albums' concept (something with symmetry, I think). The second part begins with distant screaming and then some tinkling piano before blaring doom trumpet and guitars alternate....the lyrics begin "A shade of sleep pass'd a veil o'er my eyes...Not like them, statues of defeat...and I dreamt." Then comes track 9, which is the second LYBM interlude, with jingle bells. The lyrics for interlude 9 are concealed in the booklet, printed in black on a mottled dark purple background, and they're not sung within the song. I guess it's a companion piece or something. Finally, track 10, Monstrously Low Tide ("What upon the naked shore is this key / All briny..."), another of the many, many MotW "sea songs".

Oh yeah, Bath vs LYBM. I like Bath better...but that might be because I listened to it first, like 10 times, before I heard LYBM. "They Aren't All Beautifull" is just about the best death-metal song I've ever heard, and the album is consistently interesting.

Now I'm gonna sow some seeds of doubt in myself...I've had LYBM at work all week and I could definitely be swayed to the other side :).

i actually feel that LYBM flows better than bath. but i do have to admit, LYBM doesn't have an equivalent to "they aren't all beautiful" which is an awesome jazzed out death metal song, like many of you have said. its hard to discern whether LYBM or Bath is the better album. LYBM is the one i listened to first, and listened to for a couple of days before touching Bath, so i think that has something to do with it.

Damn...I always referred to the last track as Interlude 5, and Riseth as one track...with this band, nothng surprises me. And I hear both the astral and occult mysticism in their music throughout all three albums.
Kushan: Birth Pain was the first MOTW song that made me recognize their bizarre genius, although not the first I heard (Gleam and Catharsis Of Sea Sleep.)

Well, if you only have 9 tracks, then I don't know, but my version has 10 tracks as follows:

01 - Stones of October's Sobbing.mp3
02 - Gleam in Ranks.mp3
03 - Bizarre Flower-A Violent Mist.mp3
04 - (Interlude 3).mp3
05 - The Curve That to an Angle Turn'd.mp3
06 - Sleep is a Curse.mp3
07 - Riseth He, The Numberless (Part 1).mp3
08 - Riseth He, The Numberless (Part 2).mp3
09 - (Interlude 4).mp3
10 - Monstrously Low Tide.mp3

I only figured this out by reading the lyrics... I still have to figure out what the 8th track on My Fruit Psychobells is...

I ordered the set a couple weeks ago and first things first.... I ordered on Friday, and it came on Monday. That's great service! Anyways... for me, at least, it is taking some time for me to get into them. Gleam in Ranks is great, esp the first couple of minutes. The second half gets really repetitive. This is odd, because most of the songs stay interesting and have a natural flow from beginning to end. Too bad they could not hold up the genius of Gleam. Also, I love Stone's of Octobers Sobbing; I never thought I would hear death vocals over horns, but it works so well. I don't have much to add, because in my brains, the songs haven't really gelled to the point where I can remember them by their titles.