why does everyone hate Janick Gears?

Danny rctv

Girl Band Geek!
May 22, 2002
San Francisco
www.realitychecktv.com
I was over on the Tales from the Pit message board & someone posted a thread about if Janick left Maiden would anyone care?So far it's been an overwhelmingly "No! Good riddannce!"I was the only one that said he was good for the band.I think Janick was a kick in the arse to Maiden.They became a better llive band.With his stage presense,Dave Murray finally stopped standing around like a statue & began running around.I never knew he had it in him.I really feel he enhanced the band's performance & it's really cool it's a 3 lead guitar player band.
what do you guys think?

You know I think people just don't care for the way he prances around on stage. He is pretty 'glam rock' with his appearance and stage antics. He is always doing the splits and just acts really flamboyant on stage.

I do tend to agree with that, however I also think he does add a lot of energy to the rest of the guys. Janik puts a lot of energy into the set and I do think the other guys get inspired by him.

Janik was brought into Iron Maiden on "No Prayer for the Dying" which then led to the dark years of Iron Maiden, so I think some people might also just want to see the 'classic' line up back on stage.

I say keep him though, I don't mind his antics anymore, they used to bug me but Im over it now :)

I have no problems with him being in Maiden... I think it's strange having 3 guitar players in a band though. Nothing wrong with it, just not "normal" - especially for Maiden as we grew up with. I say he's earned his place - "dark era" or not.

I think the hardest thing to do is take the place of an original member of a band that has made it. Ripper is a great singer, but the biggest complaint I heard was "he's not Halford"... so! Brad Gillis, Jake E. Lee, Zakk... all had to the "the replacement" for Randy Rhoads, all were great in their own right, but all of them got shit for taking the gig. Unfortunately, people who take over need to prove they can emulate the original before they can start doing their own thing.

We all would love to play in our favorite bands... it's probably what we all dreamed about when we started playing. Janick just got lucky that he could stay after getting Adrian back.

Now, if only I could take over for KK.... :D Naw! Leave 'em alone!

The fact that Iron Maiden did not fire him when Adrian came back shows a hell of alot about the character of the Maiden guys. They could have been real cold hearted about it and let him go. Maybe it is a European thing to have more consideration for a musician that did get them thru the uncertain times and repay the loyalty by keeping him.

But I have seen the complaint that Maiden is not utilizing 3 lead guitars to the full potential. Maybe they should listen to "Freebird" or something to get some creative ideas....LOL !!

This is MY OPINION: I just don't think he fits in with Maiden... Dave & Adrian never ran around much. It was always Steve and Bruce that did the running around. Dave and Adrian were concentrating on their melodic, kick ass solos. Janick's solos don't have the Maiden sound and his solos don't have the depth and feeling like Dave & Adrian's do. As far as his stage antics go, I think it's rather silly. I would expect that behavior from a guitarist in Poison or Ratt, not Maiden. I've always considered Maiden to be in the non commercial, heavier metal bands like Metallica (in the mid-late 80s). You'd never see Hetfield throw his guitar around and kick his legs like that.... LOL! I think the guys in Maiden are super cool for keeping Janick in the band. It tells me that they are down to earth guys and they don't have egos. Either way, with or without Janick, I love IRON MAIDEN and will always support them! They are the greatest Metal act past and present. I just have to get over my hang ups with Janick.... and I do :)

--David

momadave said:
I've always considered Maiden to be in the non commercial, heavier metal bands like Metallica (in the mid-late 80s). You'd never see Hetfield throw his guitar around and kick his legs like that.... LOL!

--David

Just goes to show you what happens over time. I think Janik might have glam stage antics but alteast his music is heavy metal and he is true and loyal to the band. God bless him. Look at Metallica now VS. Iron Maiden right now? Not even a comparison UP THE IRONS!!

Anyone who opposes Janik is not an actual human being because they have animalized and destroyed thier intellectual capacity through baseless hate and rage. They should all form a community on a desreted island and live like the scum in Lord Of The Flys.

"We don't need a code of morality"

Janik is the most kind, gentle and most noble man I have ever met. If you have not met Janik and you hate him you are complete human trash.

Janik has so much morality that when Adrian quit Janik rallied for him to stay. And when he came back making Janik Maidens 6th wheel this event became an unprecedented cornerstone in rock history. He was so chivelrous he risked his entire carrer and he was so cool he was unfirable.

As for me I am ready for Janik Hers.

todd stock said:
Anyone who opposes Janik is not an actual human being because they have animalized and destroyed thier intellectual capacity through baseless hate and rage. They should all form a community on a desreted island and live like the scum in Lord Of The Flys.

Uhhh OK

Okay he’s a great guitar player, lots of dexterity and plays with feelings and can rhythmical tremolo pick out pentatonic or stretch out a few notes and play with feelings and knows when and how play with musical integrity. Better then anyone here, I assure you. When the three can play different parts and come together like one big guitar. I find the dude an inspiration.

Danny rctv said:
I was over on the Tales from the Pit message board & someone posted a thread about if Janick left Maiden would anyone care?So far it's been an overwhelmingly "No! Good riddannce!"I was the only one that said he was good for the band.I think Janick was a kick in the arse to Maiden.They became a better llive band.With his stage presense,Dave Murray finally stopped standing around like a statue & began running around.I never knew he had it in him.I really feel he enhanced the band's performance & it's really cool it's a 3 lead guitar player band.
what do you guys think?

Janick is a fine guitarist and by far the best showman of the three. When I saw them in St. Louis 2001 with Queensryche/Halford, Smith was half-assing it and Dave was Dave, but Janick really got the crowd going, just as he did when I saw them in a bar with Blaze in 1996. He did give Maiden a needed boost of energy and I believe he more into the music and performing at this stage in life than Adrian or Dave. No slam against Maiden's long time guitar-gods, but give Janick his props!

I've always liked Jan and his playing. About the only gripe I'd ever have is his playing is good, but he seems sloppy on the solos. Rather like a singer being moosh-mouthed, his solos seem mooshed fingered.

Sides for that who gives a gou-shi if he prances on stage. I think one thing a lot of folks forget is Steve originaly wanted a 3 guitar line up.

-Hobbes

I wouldn't shed a tear if Janik was not in Maiden. He's probably a great guy...which is why Maiden kept him around. But his stage antics are gay...he should be in Poison or the Go Go's. It still bugs me when he skips around like a fairy. In addition, I bought the Iron Maiden Raising Hell DVD - it's during the Smith-less era with Dave and Janek carrying the guitar load. This DVD must be the worst ever Maiden performance. While production may have something to do with it, you still realize how badly Maiden needs Smith to take them to the highest level. Janek and Dave could not pull it off.

Lastly, can someone please tell Janek that tight jeans tucked inside white LA Gear high tops has been out of style for quite some time now! : )

I don't know, the three of them sound pretty good, I bet if you listen you wouldn't be able to tell who is playing the lead. I think he's a good fit, his tone good and if it sounds sloppy, then it's on purpose in order to play with feelings rather then producing a mechanical exercise. Some imperfections is what makes it musical, to start and taper off with offset can be intentional. Try to lift the guitar up and play it in the air or swing around your hips, like he does; it’s a blast man, it just doesn’t get anymore enjoyable, because if you don’t enjoy it, then it just aint no good. Who want’s to just stand there, without emotion?

Oh their all jumping around, look at them play Ghost of the Lost Navigators on the Rio DVD, yea they all start jumping around like Mexican Jumping Beans, its funny stuff. Yea Dave would wanker around more too, but he blew his knee out, so he can jump around as much as he used to, or quite like Gers. Gers impressed Dave Murry, and he impressed me too, so if he's good enough for Dave Murry, then he's good enough for me.

However, I disagree, I watch him play on the Rio show and it was quite precise playing, that can’t be denied, and check out Blood Brothers, Hallowed by Thy Name, etc..; does that sound sloppy? I think not, I would challenge anyone wh can play better then him to just go ahead and put up a video clip and let us see... That would be alright, Oh Yea!

There is another maneuver he does that I like, and thats when he throws his guitar around his back while playing and then continues on, it’s got to be hard, he must have worked hard to perfect it, but you need lots of open space. That’s why he uses a simple nylon strap without shoulder pad, in order to sling it around and move it up in the air and play without snagging; flamboyant like Steve V.