Why Dont Metal Bands Sing in their Native Tongues?

I'm pretty suprised at the comments in this thread.

If you are listening to music for merely the sound that is produced, then you are really missing out on a lot of what music has to offer.

I dont see how any language sounds 'cooler' than another either. This seems to merely be a comment from someone who thinks that these foreign languages are more underground because they are less accessible than if they are in english. This is a futile train of thought is similar to idiots validating listening to the rubbish produced by slipknot, limp bizkit or linkin park.

It's seems it would be obvious to me to produce in English because the majority of fans want more than just sound and meaningless vocals (atleast at face value).

Im not saying I wont listen to Non english vocals, but there would be a specific reason for it ...
eg: Burzum; i dont like what the band stands for, the idiotic actions of Varg or the ideals the lyrics try to convey to fans. However some of the musical work on their albums depict amazing imagery and develop atmospheres of hollowness, deception and so on.

but maybe thats just me ...

misfit said:
If you are listening to music for merely the sound that is produced, then you are really missing out on a lot of what music has to offer.

Now, in a way I agree with this, but it depends on what you mean. Think you could elaborate?

A finnish band might very well speak in Swedish. There is a quite a big amount of people in Finland who have swedish as their first language.

In Sweden it is mandatory to study English until you are atleast 17 years old. I will be done with my studies when I am 19 (in fact 18 because my birthday is in the autumn) but that is because I have chosen to study more. Most people today also learn a third language. German, French and Spanish are the most common. It should be noted however that you do not study this language as much as English. I choose to study for two additional years when it comes to German and well. I can read a German paper and write with well with some help of a dictionary but I would need to spend some months in Germans to actually be able to speak it in a way that resembles "fluent". Considering the fact that I have the highest grade in German most people are hardly able to do more than understand a few words unless they actively work with their third languages after they have left school.

Lyrics will have different meanings to different people. Obviously some lyrics will be more well written and have more influential effects on people. But if you are listening to a band who is writting in a foreign language I'm guessing you generally won't know what the message being conveyed is.

Be it propaganda, an experience, a story, the creation of an ideal or whatever, you will be missing what the band is trying to say. You may be engrossed by the composition of the music, in awe of technical brilliance with a particular instrument, or amazed at the innovativity of the piece, but the message is still going over your head.

Also, I personally find when lyrics grab your attention, the music will come across as being more complete - essentially adding to the 'sound'

I'm not sure if thats the sort of explanation you wanted - perhaps you could continue.

*note I'm not saying lyrics are the be all and end all of music, but listeners can get more from a band than a pleasing sound*

None_So_Vile said:
I'm going with High on Maiden for this. Also, I once got told to learn to speak English properly....by an American :lol:
Jay) "This is Silent Bob's cousin, he's from Russia"
Girl) "Does he speak any english?"
Jay) "He speaks some, but he can not speak it good like we do."

I find the lyrics an essential part too. I would still like to know what the song is about, or which message is given. Vocals in a native language can give an original touch and add up to the atmosphere but I couldn't listen to a band all the time without even knowing what is said in the lyrics.

Edgecrusher said:
Jay) "This is Silent Bob's cousin, he's from Russia"
Girl) "Does he speak any english?"
Jay) "He speaks some, but he can not speak it good like we do."

DO YOU WANT TO MAKE A FUCK BEZERKER

MasterOLightning said:
I believe I remember Mike from Opeth saying that Swedish growls just don't sound right, after being asked why Opeth didn't use Swedish.

Yeah, I heard a version of Soilworks "Mercury Shadow" where Speed sung it in Swedish, it didn't sound right at all. Probably the reason is was only a Swedish bonus track.

I speak spanish i think is far easier to get a rhyme in english than spanish, I don't know about the other languages, I also think that English besides being the universal tongue is also a cool language to speak.