Why Dont Metal Bands Sing in their Native Tongues?

speed

Nov 19, 2001
Visit site
Whats more demonic than German, crazier than swedish, and arrogant than French? The idea I am trying to further, is that certain languages fit the aesthetic of metal, much more so than English. Most bands have unintelligble lyrics anyhow, who cares if no one but Germans can understand them? I know English offers a broad international base, but who cares about how many people can understand if the aesthetic of the music is improved?

You sing in English and you reach a HUGE audience. Even non-English speaking countries often have a large population that can read, write and understand English. I know for me, I really like when I can understand the lyrics... but I do know what you mean. English is one of the least cool sounding languages for metal.

I like the way Vintersorg and some others do it... some songs in native tongue, some songs in English. I think that's a cool way to do it... retaining your roots, while still having the larger audience appeal of "universal" English. A nice compromise I think. I wish more bands would do that.

~Robert

I personally dont care about what language its in, so long as the music is good really, although i do know a German band who sings in German who are pretty good called Equilibrium.. they kick ass.

Yes I acknowledge a band can reach a wider audience, and is the most universal language, but most are missing my point.

My point is, it doesnt matter if one can understand the lyrics in metal- as most death and black metal bands, have unintelligble vocals. Thus, since the lyrics and vocals dont matter, why not sing in a language that gives an extra dimension to the music? Why not have Neo Nazi black metal bands sing in German- my god it is such a guttaral language it would sound much more evil and menacing.

English is not the best language for most forms of music. Has anyone heard a English Opera by Britten etc. It doesnt sound very good, it can never top Russian, German and Italian.

And yes Rammstein is an excellent example. Here is a band without much musical talent or songwriting skills, that have made themselves famous with their guttaral German vocals.

It seems only SOlefald has picked up on the extra dimension varied languages can bring to the music- its just sad as it would be so easy to experment with.

Profånity said:
Because English is the universal language.

indeed. most bands that comes from countires with a non-english first language (germany, sweden, finland, ect...) use english because its so widely spoken. Most europeans speak several languages, and english is the most common, so bands use english so everyone can enjoy it. If Dark Tranquillity for instance only sang in swedish, the germans, the japanese, the americans, and everyone else wouldnt be able to understand them.

Some bands do however use their native language, which is pretty cool. Vintersorg has a nice mix of his native language, and english. Finntroll is all in finnish, and perhaps the most well known, Rammstein.

I myself usually don't care about the language, but these words are true. Think about Vintersorg, I do believe that his works would not have such a large audience if he still sang in Swedish. It just appeals to a lot more people, and sadly, most people speak English.

Vocals, as far as I'm concerned, are just another instrument. One language has different attributes to another. It depends on the band in question - what they hope to achieve.

You'll also note that a lot of Nationalist bands will use nothing but their own nation's language.

Edgecrusher said:
Question for the Europeans:

Is learning to speak English mandatory? Or is it just something that you guys pick up on, or like a voluntary 2nd language class in school?
It differs from country to country. I know it's mandatory in Holland, Norway and maybe Sweden, but not in France or Germany.

I reckon the bredth of audience is the single overiding factor. Otherwise, wouldn't it just be easier to sing and write in your most natural language?

Oh well, I guess English just rules.

On a similar note, why do yanks spell our words wrong??

5thSeason said:
indeed. most bands that comes from countires with a non-english first language (germany, sweden, finland, ect...) use english because its so widely spoken. Most europeans speak several languages, and english is the most common, so bands use english so everyone can enjoy it. If Dark Tranquillity for instance only sang in swedish, the germans, the japanese, the americans, and everyone else wouldnt be able to understand them.

Some bands do however use their native language, which is pretty cool. Vintersorg has a nice mix of his native language, and english. Finntroll is all in finnish, and perhaps the most well known, Rammstein.
Finntroll is all in Swedish though the band is Finnish.

well, not sure of death metal groups, but some bands still have a few songs in their native language, like I know Blind Guardian and Kamelot do, also Dimmu Borgir? not sure there.

Didnt Immortal have a lot of non-English albums initially? I coulda sworn their early albums were different.

Darkthrone does both.

If i knew another language i would write songs in it, but i'd rather learn norweigian or german, but i'm stuck with french at my school and because i live only a few hours away from the french area of canada so more likely french will be useful in my area.