Metal in other languages

desert_demon

Wise in the ways of metal
Nov 10, 2002
Mexico
Visit site
Metal in a language other than English, I mean.
I was recently listening to my Nightwish - Once CD and I had forgotten that there is a track on it in what I suppose is Finnish, the song being Kuolema Tekee Taiteilijan.
Since I know this is a very international board, my question is: Do you listen to metal in your native language (if it is not English)? And IS there metal in other languages?
Since I am from Mexico I can attest that there are several bands that record in spanish and have been doing so for years. Rata Blanca from Argentina, Tierra Santa and Avalanch from Spain and Transmetal, Luzbel and Khafra from Mexico just to name a few.

Since I know this is a very international board, my question is: Do you listen to metal in your native language (if it is not English)? And IS there metal in other languages?

Totally. I love metal, the language (and thus the lyrics) are secondary to me. My native language is Spanish and I enjoy several bands specially from Argentina my birth country. But also I have stuff in French, Italian, Hungarian, Polish, Swedish, Faroese, Japanese, Russian and a couple of songs in German and Finnish along the collection :D

Of course if more confortable to me when I can sing along (which I tend a lot, specially in the gym where I annoy everybody :lol:), but like I said if the metal is good the language is unimportant to me.

NP: Rata Blanca - '71-06 (endorfina)'

But also I have stuff in French, Italian, Hungarian, Polish, Swedish, Faroese, Japanese, Russian and a couple of songs in German and Finnish along the collection :D

I speak a bit of french myself and I would love to hear some french speaking metal bands. Any reccomendations?

Of course there is metal in other languages. Most obscure, small bands still living in their home country play metal in their own languages because their fan base is most likely to consist of only native speakers.

- Evilthorn from China
- Anorexia Nervosa from France

Both awesome bands btw.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only two that really come to mind are Sortilege (French Queensryche) and La Cuca (Mexican - Spanish).

Sadly I speak neither language (besides high school French which has largely been forgotten).

I speak a bit of french myself and I would love to hear some french speaking metal bands. Any reccomendations?

There are a lot both classic and new so here I set you a list, good luck finding some of them absolutely OOP:

Sortilege (lo máximo del metal francés a mi juicio!)
H-Bomb
Blaspheme
High Power
Satan Jokers
Attentat Rock
Voie De Fait
Vulcain
Malediction
Manigance
ADX
Killers

Skyforger comes to mind.. they sing in their native tongue - Latvian.. which is awesome.
Negura Bunget is a great band from Romania who sing in Romanian.

I think there are quite a few Black Metal bands that sing in French.. Belenos, Alcest and Amesoeurs come to mind..

I can't really be of that much assistance.. since I listen to Black and Death Metal, I can't hear what the vocalist is singing about anyway so language isn't of such a big importance to me :)

I can't really be of that much assistance.. since I listen to Black and Death Metal, I can't hear what the vocalist is singing about anyway so language isn't of such a big importance to me :)

So true! I myself can't understand a damn thing black (and most death) metal bands are saying, I sometimes suspect that they have a language all their own.

If you like Black Metal try Seth. Their 1996By Fire, Power Shall Be... EP was pretty cool and then their debut in 1997Les Blessures de l'Âme was of high quality IMO but I didnt keep up with them.

Hungarian, french, czech and russian are my favorite languages in metal besides english.

For the french bands, the job was done by Wyvern. For hungarian, russian and czech, check out:

HUNGARY

Pokolgep --> www.myspace.com/pokolgeptribute
Ossian --> www.myspace.com/ossianofficial
Omen
Kalapacs --> www.kalapacs.net
Stress
Saman
Akela
Morpheus
Mamut
Akela
Obstruction
Pandora's Box

RUSSIA

Aria --> www.myspace.com/arians
Kipelov --> www.myspace.com/kipelovrock
Kruiz --> www.myspace.com/thekruiz
Master --> www.myspace.com/mastergroup
Mavrik (Sergey Mavrin)
Legion
Catharsis --> www.myspace.com/catharsisofficial

CZECH REPUBLIC

Kreyson --> www.myspace.com/kreysonnet
Arakain

But I also have albums with lyrics in polish, spanish, portuguese, turkish, serbian and of course japanese (Loudness) and greek.

In Dutch, very little bands ever released albums. In the very early 80's there was Vandale, a very good band from Holland that released a couple of albums that are very worth listening to, if you can stand the strange dutch language :)
These days we have a band called Clement Pierens Explosition (CPeX in short) in Belgium. They are kind of the Belgian Spinal Tap; their lyrics (in a Belgian dialect) are dead funny, but almost every song does have a killer riff. These guys are huge over here. They just did a few concerts, each time in between 5 and 15000 people attended shows (all were sold out)...It's a bit metal-made-fun-of, but these guys do it the right way (and are real AC/DC and Megadeth fans...).

"You ugly fun fair lady!"
[ame]http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=OeTqzvmvfoQ&feature=related[/ame]

"God damn, give me that remotre controle!"
[ame]http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=qzyIy1xeXWg&feature=related[/ame]

"Don't you think my ass looks too fat in this skirt?
[ame]http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=ef8wRwhqlQo&feature=related[/ame]

Rata Blanca, Mago de Oz, and Brujeria all sing in spanish. Love all three of them. Saw Brujeria a week ago. Fucking badass. First two are power metal and folk metal i believe. Last is death metal.

Rata Blanca-La Leyenda del Hada y el Mago

Mago de Oz-Molinos de Viento

Brujeria-La Ley de Plomo

Last edited by a moderator:
From Czech Republic I forgot to mention Citron.

@ Wyvern: If you want to upload any album from Ossian or Aria, let me know. I also bought recently the CD version of the first album from Exoristoi (from Greece) and I can upload it too.

From Czech Republic I forgot to mention Citron.

@ Wyvern: If you want to upload any album from Ossian or Aria, let me know. I also bought recently the CD version of the first album from Exoristoi (from Greece) and I can upload it too.

Thanks for the offer, I'll be back to you when I finished with all the material I recently purchased :lol:

Ossian was available at a site I buy from time to time, but now it seems they run out of copies. I'm also thinking in expanding my early Loudness collection (I have a 2 album gap between DS and TITE). Not to mention I'm looking for the last Obstruction album and I can't find it anywhere :cry:

Rata Blanca, Mago de Oz, and Brujeria all sing in spanish. Love all three of them. Saw Brujeria a week ago. Fucking badass. First two are power metal and folk metal i believe. Last is death metal.

Rata Blanca is more neoclassical but owing more to Deep Purple (as Blackmore is Giardino hero) than to Malmsteen, they have a certain power component but depending on which album you pick you will notice notable differences in the formula (btw my favorite Argentinian band of all time). Mago de Oz will all due respect is a piece of shit :puke:, Skyclad for the poor man and the drummer is an asshole, frankly a stain in Spanish metal that have given to the world bands like: Baron Rojo, Obus, Panzer, Avalanch (old), Azrael and many more. As for Brujeria, never liked their lyrics or musical approach. I can't understand death metal and grindcore, bur Brujeria to me was always like a bad approach to what bands like Death, Obituary, Napalm Death, Carcass were try to pull out.

One of the few "other language bands" I really like is Abramis Brama, a Swedish band that bring awesome classic Hard Rock. I really hope to see them live once !! They in fact are one of my favorit bands at the moment ! Kobus from S-Africa are really cool too, as Kuier mentioned. Friends saw them live and they say they dissappointed a bit though...Here are some Abramis Brama vids, check 'm !!

[ame]http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpWdqBo7Yv8[/ame]

[ame]http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=0uINjwmon1E&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=dD8QQVlp4OE[/ame]

[ame]http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=MMvZoE7PYLQ&feature=related[/ame]