Languages

I can't understand Romanian at all even though I speak spanish. It's closer in vocabulary but it sounds like a Slavic language.

I sometimes prefer different languages for music. I like Japanese in music because a lot more words rhyme since they all end with vowel sounds or n. I never liked Chinese too much in it, it's probably just what I'm used to or something but some of the sounds they use are just weird when they're in music. Like the sound they use that's between r and y. Living in a dorm with a bunch of Chinese people I would end up hearing a lot of it.

I like Spanish as well because more words rhyme since a lot of verbs share endings. All verbs in the infinitive form (unless there's something I'm missing here, which I doubt) end with er, ir, or ar. Not all conjugations share the same ending and there are irregular verbs but there is a lot more pattern than in english.

Of course rhyme isn't everything which is pretty much why I prefer English and Spanish most since those are the only two languages I can understand.

is hard to understand who is screaming like a pig or a hungry snake.

Serpientes no chillan. Pinto.

I'm not partial to any language when it comes to what suits Metal the best. I just enjoy the novelty of whenever it's not English. It adds to the mystique.

I think, WeAreInFlames, that you are right about spanish being better suited to pop. Of course, it is best suited to latin music, but it fits very well with pop. I've never heard growled spanish, but it sounded pretty cool in an old school metal sound. I'm probably in the same boat as Feathers & Flames in that I enjoy spanish because I can understand it. And yeah, I guess I do enjoy the novelty of other languages. Out of curiosity, does anyone know any good Arabic metal?

Well, in my opinion, a language that you do not understand always sounds better because...well you just don't understand it! Instead you listen more to the quality of the voice and the foreign dialect, and it instills a mystical feeling to the song...

HOWEVER, being a Swede, I honestly can't stand certain Metal songs sung in either Swedish or Norwegian (very similar languages) because our languages (especially Norwegian) sound so goofy! Norwegian is way too much of a cheerful language to be converted into a haunting one! English is much better suited in that department! sorry Varg you tried!

thats spoken in arabic? not really. all the arab and persian bands ive come across use english for lyrics.

but ahoora of Iran (which is persian, not arabic) is good
~gR~

Well, in my opinion, a language that you do not understand always sounds better because...well you just don't understand it! Instead you listen more to the quality of the voice and the foreign dialect, and it instills a mystical feeling to the song...

HOWEVER, being a Swede, I honestly can't stand certain Metal songs sung in either Swedish or Norwegian (very similar languages) because our languages (especially Norwegian) sound so goofy! Norwegian is way too much of a cheerful language to be converted into a haunting one! English is much better suited in that department! sorry Varg you tried!

i think hardingrock is a good example of how norwegian can be used in a haunting manner. listen to daudingen

http://www.myspace.com/hardingrock
~gR~

I think it pretty much is the popularity of the English language. I've even heard phrases in English used in Cantonese pop music.

Hvis Lysett Tar Oss
Literally it translates to "If Light Takes Us" but since Norwegian doesn't see to have exact words for the same words in English we refer to it as If The Light Takes Us. I'm sure someone like a native Norwegian speaker or someone with more experience in Norwegian than I can elaborate more on the language as I'm a beginner that knows basic things about it.

Lyset, in Swedish Ljuset, would actually correctly translate to "the light" and not "light". Since there's no word for "the" or for example "das" like in German, the difference between "light"(lys) and "the light" (lyset) is the bending of the word.
Interesting, I've learned more about the Norwegian/Swedish languages then. Do you have an Instant Messenger we can discuss these things further?

It's been a long time since I posted here, mainly because I started exploring other genres. I'm sure my avatar and sig are childish as fuck, so yeah, apologies in advance. Recently I've been listening to metal again, and I've been thinking about how the choice of language affects the sound. Like, for example, with darkthrone, some songs are in english, some in norwegian. The norwegian songs sound more powerful, more chilling. The most chilling band I've ever heard, burzum, sings in norwegian too. I was also recently listening to the album babasonica by babasonicos (a pop band who did a one-off into metal) which is a sort of old school metal sound, kind of like metallica and NWOBHM, but it is sung in spanish. I noticed that the fact that it was sung in spanish made it seem more passionate, and very awesome in it's own way. I'm just curious as to what everyone else's thoughts on this are. Does language make a difference?, do different genres sound better with different languages?, is it bad that english is dominating metal?

It only makes a difference if it's a language you're not accustomed to. You're not used to Norwegian, so it'll have a greater impact on you.

Tbh I never felt like learning any Scandinavian language. So far I'm learning Mandarin and Hindi for practical purposes. After I learn the 4 languages I want to learn for practical purposes I'll start on languages for interest like Nahuatl, Latin, and Sanskrit.