Languages

Russian would probably be the hardest of the bunch. Odd that you struggled with French though, I always found that to be a pretty easy to learn language.

French is much harder than Spanish and Italian, especially in terms of the written language. I only know it better because I took it for five years.

Russian would probably be the hardest of the bunch. Odd that you struggled with French though, I always found that to be a pretty easy to learn language.

I'd really like to see how well you know French to make a claim like that. Almost every people I know who was brought up in English have a hell of a time learning French (most will never be able to master it truly)...and that's being in a very billingual region.

So my first guess would be that you practically know nothing about French. You might be better than most where you are but that's probably because most people there wouldn't be able to count to 10 in French.

French probably isn't as hard as Sanskrit so I probably won't have much trouble this fall.

Because it's fun. If you learn all the ancient influential Indo-European languages it makes learning any language in the whole family a much easier task.

Oh. At some point I'm gonna learn Classical Nahuatl just because some words in it sound similar to word in ancient Indo-European languages.

Does English count as first if you spoke it and another language when you were learning to talk?

No language is completely unrelated to any other language on earth. Hungarian is in the same family as Finnish btw.

Of course all languages are related to some extent, as it is all ultimately derived from the language of the first humans- a mutant group of African Homonids/ Adam and Eve (delete as appropriate)

Hungarian's closest relative is Finnish, because the two peoples have the same origin, as a group that migarted from the Ural mountains some 2000 years ago. However, the group split into two sometime before what became the Hungarian people settled the Carpathian basin sometime in the late 9th Century. The result is that the Hungarian and Finnish languages have developed seperately of eachother over some 1200 years. The result is very little similarity in the modern forms, leading to linguists considering Hungarian unique, as it also largely resisted Greek, Turkish and Slavic influence. Apparently.

And if you want something really different, how's about Silbo Gomerian- the whistled language of the Canary Islands