Languages

SentinelSlain

Suck my joined date.
Nov 21, 2007
Ok so I haven't applied to uni and I've finished college. I don't really know what to do now, the job market isn't brilliant. What I wouldn't mind doing is learning a language, but I wasn't brilliant at GCSE French (I got a B though).

In your expert opinions which would be a good choice for someone to have a stab at learning at home, from books, in about a years time?

German?
Swedish?
Norwegian?
Russian?
Italian?

I'm only really interested in Russian or European languages, because my interest in cultures outside of those parts of the world is minimal.

Obviously languages with a different alphabet will be more challenging, but that might be a good thing. I don't want to learn a classical language.

Take French and Spanish out of the equation, because although lots of people speak them, I want to start afresh and I've already started those at school.

I might give up with this thread and change the question to a picture of kelly Brook.

If you want the basics on the Romance languages, you ought to study Latin. Otherwise take Russian since that nation is becoming ever more significant to international affairs (again).

Swedish,it sounds good, and try Japanese if you are interested, all the spelling is different but it's not difficult.
You want a challenging language, try Arabic. It's difficult and so vast, and really interesting learning it.

If you want a practical language learn Mandarin. It has tones but it is much simpler than any Indo-European language. If you don't want tones but can handle a little more complexity then try Japanese. It isn't as useful as Mandarin but is still pretty useful.

I want to know your reasons for wanting to learn a new language. If it's just for fun, then I don't know what to tell you, I'd probably pick German since you are only interested in European languages. But if you are going to go to school for business or something like that, then I'd pick Japanese, with German in second.

Give me a little more insight please.

f-Kelly-Brook-2-2621.jpg