The Language Thread

I think that andros and anthropos may have a similar root. Same gender, same vowel next to the same nasal consonant next to a dental next to an r. Similar meanings, too.

According to my lexicon ἀνήρ has the root ἀ and ἄνθρωπος the root ἀθ. It's not an etymological/linguistic dictionary so I cannot say any more. There might be a connection, but probably only as much as their German equivalents Mann and Mensch have with each other.

Ah. That makes sense. I forgot to account for morphing from the roots. In an Indo-European language, too.

Knowing Swedish it's interesting to guess at the shape of English words that became extinct because of French/Latin, there's almost always an equivalent to them in Swedish. In essence most things that existed here before the late Middle Ages will have the same name in Swedish and Old English.

You say "animal" but you have to have called it something with a D before the late Middle Ages since we say "djur". You used to call it "deor"/"deer".

You say "table" but you have to have called it something with a B because we say "bord". You used to say "board".

You say "air" but you have to have called it something with an L because we say "luft". You used to say "lyft".

There are exceptions, like when both languages have used different proper nouns as compounds for words*. Here's an example: "Thunder" (Thor din) - "Åska" (asens åkning = travel of the ás). This is also fascinating though, the presentation is different but both cultures apply metaphore in the exact same way.

*However, many times you can still find the equivalent as a less common variant: "Thunder" can also be called "Tordön", even if that would be very archaic for modern Swedish.

You think “chauffeur” looks like “show fur”?

Don't know what it "looks like" to you, but that word sounds like how it's spelled. Chi and Shi are sometimes used interchangeably, not sure why i have to point this out to you. And not everyone emphasizes the FUR in that word. I hear plenty of people say "Sho-ffeur". Also please explain why in the world you would bring up armadillo after reading my post?

i can't think of another word ending in ue which is pronounced that way tbh, so it is a bit of an anomaly.
yea, im not sure but i dont think the Italians pronounce it seg-WAY, so im not sure why in the world we still spell it like how they pronounce it. I could be wrong though.

Don't know what it "looks like" to you, but that word sounds like how it's spelled. Chi and Shi are sometimes used interchangeably, not sure why i have to point this out to you. And not everyone emphasize the FUR in that word. I hear plenty of people say "Sho-ffeur". Also please explain why in the world you would bring up armadillo after reading my post?

“Chauffeur” sounds like how it’s spelled... in its original language. Like “segue.”

“Chauffeur” sounds like how it’s spelled... in its original language. Like “segue.”
Oh so now Chauffeur sounds like how its spelled to you? You seem to be rather confused, which i'm guessing is the same reason you brought up armadillo

So you see or hear WAY when reading SEGUE? :lol:

Anyway, can someone else please give me their thoughts on this.

Oh so now Chauffeur sounds like how its spelled to you? You seem to be rather confused, which i'm guessing is the same reason you brought up armadillo

So you see or hear WAY when reading SEGUE?.

“Chauffeur” is pronounced the way it sounds in French, not English. Likewise, “segue” is pronounced the way it sounds in Italian. Keeping up?

“Chauffeur” is pronounced the way it sounds in French, not English. Likewise, “segue” is pronounced the way it sounds in Italian. Keeping up?
You seem to be having some trouble here. Chauffeur sounds just like how it is originally written and pronounced. So does Armadillo(at least in English it sounds like how it is written). Segue does not...

https://www.howtopronounce.com/italian/segue/

there is no WAY in their pronunciation of the word.