The Language Thread

There is a big brother complex going on between Denmark and Sweden and Norway and Sweden. Thus, no Swede could actually commend a Dane or a Norwegian for doing something well, as many Swedes regard themselves 'superior', no matter what. That goes for languages too, obviously.

I have some interest in languages and how they tie into ethnology and am developing a few conlangs for a fantasy setting I'm working on.

I'm only fluent in Swedish and English. I'm currently studying Japanese, but I don't feel like I'm doing very well. I know approximately 1100 kanji, but aside from that I haven't made much progress at all. Learning kanji was the only area I was making steady progress in and I don't feel like I've gotten anywhere since I got burnt out on that.

I need to post something in Danish just so everyone realizes what an ugly language it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
The accents vary widely within the country, from what my Danish ex told me. I don't know if all Danish people do this, but I noticed that they seem to cut off their own breathing while speaking. It sounds like they're getting hit in the chest as they're talking. It's like some parts of words they pronounce at normal volume and other parts are very quiet. I used to find it amusing how my ex's dad would do that when he spoke English, and it sounded like he kept gulping for air.

Algonquin, I'm Ojibwe.

Every Native American language I have studied the grammar of out of curiosity was complex as fuck. A lot of the complexity seemed pretty unnecessary minus inclusive and uninclusive versions of "we." The only Native American languages I've found that weren't very complex were spoken in the pre-Columbian civilizations. I've found there is a little bit of a connection between the complexity of the language and the development of the society technologically. Chinese has the simplest grammar out of any language I've studied and they have a very old civilization. On the other hand, Navaho-speaking people weren't quite as developed technologically and their language is the most complex one I know about.

English
Bulgarian
German
French

in the order I've learned them

I'd like to learn French to a better level, in a year or so I'll start to study Russian, I'd like to learn as well Swedish and Spanish

My native language is Russian, I understand Ukrainian language well (though I don't speak it). I'm progressing in learning English.
2_sm5.gif

How's it going so far? I know English can be very tough with all of its exceptions, but if you need any pointers, I've taught English before.

English
Bulgarian
German
French

in the order I've learned them

I'd like to learn French to a better level, in a year or so I'll start to study Russian, I'd like to learn as well Swedish and Spanish

Isn't Bulgarian and Russian almost the same?

Isn't Bulgarian and Russian almost the same?

This is related languages​​, but they differ from each other more strongly than, for example, Russian and Ukrainian.
2_sm5.gif

Vimana, it's alright. In comparison with the Russian, English isn't so complicated. I try to increase my vocabulary. I have already obtained translate the general meaning of the song by ear.
2smile1.gif

English's mechanics are not so complicated, but the phonetics are probably the worst out of any written language.